Move over pumpkin spiced latte, this matcha chai spiced latte is so so perfect for the colder weather, and is packed full of the goodness of matcha green tea.
A couple of months back, when I posted my raw matcha coconut fudge, my mum called to ask what exactly matcha was, and why I was using it. I gave her the spiel…
Potential Benefits of Matcha
Matcha is a bit of a powerhouse of goodness. It:
- is loaded with antioxidants: in fact it contains about 3 times more antioxidants than those found in other high quality green teas;
- it may help improve cholesterol and blood sugar levels;
- it may help reduce the risk of heart disease;
- matcha boosts energy and metabolism;
- it increases focus, and
- can help improve skin health
Needless to say, she was sold! She was super excited and set out immediately to get herself some matcha. However, living on a tiny island at the bottom of Australia (one that is often left out of maps), and refusing to move with the times and order things online…the search was fruitless.
Eventually when we hit Hawaii for a family reunion months later (for more on Hawaii check out my Ahi Tuna Burgers), she managed to snag the biggest container she could find, and lugged it the whole way back to Australia with her. A couple of weeks later, and I find out she still has no idea what to do with the stuff.
So! I figured I would provide her with a super simple matcha latte recipe. This is not it. The weather cooled off, everyone started talking about pumpkin spiced lattes, and I got carried away while playing in the kitchen. I came up with this amazing Green Tea Chai Spiced Latte, which I can guarantee my mum will hate, but I just had to post it anyway (sorry mum).
Now there’s two ways you can use this little recipe. You can add some extra heated milk, a drizzle of honey (or more maple syrup for the vegans), and serve as is (goes well with a rainy night and a blanket on the porch). OR, you can use it as a delicious creamer in your coffee (goes well with a strong coffee and a will to carry on).
I have been doing the latter all week, and I am totally hooked. I think the cool kids are calling green tea, chai latte, coffee concoctions Dirty Hippies these days, but that name just doesn’t appeal to me. So we will be going to go with the oh-so sophisticated Green Tea Chai Spiced Latte. Your morning coffee will never be the same!
Have you tried a dirty hippy? I would love to hear your thoughts, be sure to leave a comment, like on Facebook or pin to Pinterest for later. Happy drinking.
If you are looking for more homemade comforting drink options, then check these out:
- 1 cup cashew milk plus extra for serving or non-dairy milk of choice - but cashew is extra creamy
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon plus extra for serving
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- honey or maple syrup for serving
- Pop all ingredients into a blender and blend until combined
- Pop the mixture into a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat until the mixture reaches your desired temperature
- Remove from heat and serve immediately as is, topping with some extra milk (I froth mine) a sprinkle of cinnamon, and some honey/maple syrup if desired OR chill and use as a creamer in your morning coffee