On a cold rainy day this White Bean and Sausage Soup is just what the doctor ordered.
I have been enjoying the solitary life in a small town in Tasmania for the past week. Well, as solitary as you can get when you are accompanied by two toddlers….so the opposite really, but let’s just pretend shall we.
I am sure it will get old eventually, but getting up in the morning and venturing out into the chilly sea air for some sticks to get the fire going has been just delightful. We had one night where the weather was so bad it turned the power off, and so we ended up cooking baked beans and toast over the fire and eating by candlelight. I am pretty much as far from the outdoorsy type as you can get, so this is definitely a novelty for me. In fact, I think I have been camping once in my whole life, I was twenty years old, and I cried…
I took the kids for a mini bush walk this afternoon as the weather was too wild to venture to the beach, and I couldn’t stand being cooped up inside for another minute with them. There was at least a bit of shelter from the trees overhead, but we still got soaked to the bones and returned home shivering and in need of a hot shower. I had a big pot of this White Bean and Sausage Soup already prepared, and I have never been so happy to see a bowl of soup in my life.
White Bean and Sausage Soup is rustic, hearty and filling and is the perfect accompaniment to a cold and rainy day. It will warm you to the core in no time at all. We ate every last drop and there wasn’t a noise for the entire meal, which I always take as a good sign (unless it’s because someone is super grumpy).
Enjoy this scrumptious soup with some fresh bread and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar on top. If you are vegetarian, you can totally get away without the sausage, as the beans add all the protein you need for a well balanced meal.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken sausages
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 450 g can diced tomatoes look for no salt added
- 1 450 g can white beans do not drain (look for no salt added)
- 2 cups vegetable stock for homemade stock look here
- 2.5 cups water
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Heat the oil in a large pot of dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and heat until cooked through. Remove from the heat and chop into slices
- Add the celery, carrot and onion to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 5 mins. Add the tomatoes, white beans and their liquid, vegetable stock and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium
- Continue cooking until the soup thickens slightly, about 20 minutes
- Add in the chopped sausages and parsley to the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Top each serving with a generous sprinkling of cheese