Moroccan Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
The perfect mix of sweet and savory, this Instant Pot Split Pea Soup is a great option for a busy weeknight. Coming together super quickly and using only one pot (the instant pot), this can be eaten as is or jazzed up with a nice pop of color and flavor from some pomegranate arils. Great for when you want a big bowl of comfort that is just a little bit different.
Servings: 6 serves
- 1 cup yellow split peas picked through and rinsed
- 2 carrots chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 stalks of celery diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup apple juice
- ¼ cup chopped soft dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- salt to taste
- yogurt and pomegranate arils to serve (optional)
Add all of the ingredients excluding the tomatoes into the Instant Pot and mix.
Add the diced tomatoes on top without mixing.
Close the Instant Pot, seal the vent, select the soup setting, high pressure and move the time button till you hit 13 minutes.
Once cooked allow the soup to pressure release naturally for 8 minutes.
Then quick-release the rest of the pressure, open, adjust seasoning and serve.
- Use chicken broth if you prefer.
- Add a bit more broth if you want this soupier rather than thick.
- The soup will get thicker as it stands.
- You can add in harissa if you have it on hand.
- Serve with yogurt (use a plant-based version if you want to keep it vegan), and toppings like pomegranate seeds and herbs
- To make the soup more creamy you can always remove two cups and blend before adding back into the soup and stirring.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Calories: 177kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 746mg | Potassium: 637mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 4228IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 3mg