Marrakesh Carrot Salad
A great quick and easy salad loaded with crunchy carrots, chickpeas, and lots of flavor, this Morrocan Carrot Salad is a great option when you are after something a little bit different. Great to bring along to a potluck, to enjoy alongside a nice piece of grilled chicken or fish, or to stuff inside a wrap.
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 cups grated carrots see notes
- 1 can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained chickpeas
- 7 medjool dates pitted and chopped
- 1/2 a small red onion minced
- 4 green onions white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 lime and juice of 2
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- Crumbled feta cheese for garnish optional
In a large bowl, combine the carrots, garbanzo beans, dates, red onion, green onions and cilantro
In another bowl, whisk together the olive oil, zest and juice of the limes, cumin, nutmeg, turmeric, salt and pepper
Pour the dressing over the carrot salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle on the pumpkin seeds and feta cheese if using. Serve or cover and chill in the fridge until ready to use
To grate the carrots quickly, use the grating attachment on a food processor or a mandolin.
The dates are a lot easier to chop if you pop them in the fridge for a while first.
Calories: 429kcal | Carbohydrates: 70.6g | Protein: 11.6g | Fat: 18.4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 90mg | Fiber: 10.4g | Sugar: 36.2g