Naturally Sweetened Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
We include only the good stuff in this naturally sweetened strawberry rhubarb compote. The fresh strawberries balance out the sourness of the rhubarb, the orange juice adds a nice zestiness and a touch of honey rounds out the whole flavor profile to give you a sweet, tart experience that pops in your mouth.
Servings: 6 serves
- 1 cup rhubarb chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup strawberries hulled and quartered
- 1 orange juiced
- ¼ cup cold filtered water
- 2 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
- pinch sea salt
In a small saucepan add the rhubarb, strawberries, orange juice, water, honey, and sea salt. Cover and allow to come to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, remove lid and and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. At this point most of the fruit should have broken down, remove from heat.
Using a potato masher, mash the fruit and make the compote smoother.
Taste and add more honey if needed.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes (the compote will thicken as it cools), then transfer the compote to a glass jar with a lid. Cool, uncovered at room temperature until it's no longer hot. Pop on the lid and transfer to the fridge to chill for at least 4 to 6 hours before using. See notes for serving suggestions.
- yogurt and granola for breakfast;
- swirl it into plain yogurt for a homemade sweetened yogurt for the kids without all the added sugar;
- add a dollop on top of your ice cream;
- fancy up a glass of milk by blending a bog dollop alongside some ice (or ice cream) for a different kind of milkshake;
- add some on top of fresh bread and ricotta for a sweet snack or lunch;
- add it to some cottage cheese if you need some protein but still crave something sweet;
- spread on pancakes, waffles, muffins or scones.
Calories: 43kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 134mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 70IU | Vitamin C: 27.4mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 0.1mg