White Chicken Chili
We have reduced the beans and loaded this white chicken chili up with lots and lots of veggies. Everything cooks together perfectly in the instant pot or slow cooker, allowing for an easy weeknight dinner. Packs well in a thermos for a grab and go lunch as well.
Servings: 6 serves
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast trimmed of excess fat
- 1 yellow onion cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilis I use mild
- 1 can whole kernel corn drained and rinsed
- 1 can great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 green bell pepper cut into 1 inch chunks
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (coriander) chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup cream cheese softened see notes
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- avocado sour cream, cilantro, pumpkin seeds for serving
- additional toppings (optional): corn kernels, pumpkin seeds, cilantro, sour cream, chilis
To Make This In The Instant Pot
Add chicken breasts to the bottom of the instant pot and top with onion wedges, garlic, chilis, corn, beans, bell peppers, and herbs and spices. Add in the chicken stock and give everything a good stir.
Pop on the lid and seal and cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes. Once it is done cooking, let it naturally depressurize for 10 min then switch the valve to the "venting" position to completely release steam before opening the lid.
Remove the chicken from the pot and use two forks to shred it. Put the chicken back in the slow cooker along with the softened cream cheese and heavy cream. Stir. Pop the lid on and let it sit for about 10 minutes so that the cream cheese can melt. At this point stir again, taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
Serve with desired toppings.
To Make This in The Slow Cooker
- Cream cheese: you need to use cream cheese softened to room temperature or slightly heated in a microwave. If you do not you will end up with clumps of cream cheese in the chili.
- To make this low carb simply omit the beans and the corn.
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Potassium: 631mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 530IU | Vitamin C: 64.1mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 1.5mg