Aromatic Tomato, Carrot and Lentil Soup
Tomato, carrot and lentil soup is a must add to your recipe repertoire if you need a quick and easy meal the whole family can enjoy. Coming together in just 20 minutes with a handful of pantry and fridge staples, this is one meal you will find yourself turning to time and time again.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or cooking oil of choice
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (more to taste optional)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 large carrots, diced into roughly 2cm cubes
- 4 medium tomatoes skinned (I used Truss) see notes for tips on skinning
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the EVOO in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Once heated, add the onions and garlic and allow to sweat for about 2 minutes. They should be tender but not starting to brown yet.
Add the mustard powder, chilli and turmeric, and stir to combine.
Add the carrots and sauteé for about 3 minutes, until they have softened slightly.
Add the chopped tomatoes, stock and lentils and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
Remove from the heat and add in the lemon juice.
Remove 2-3 cups of the soup and blend until smooth. Add back into the main saucepan, add salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine.
To skin the tomatoes:
- Remove the stems and tops.
- With a small knife (I find a serrated knife works best), score the skin of the tomato on top, to make a large X.
- Place the tomatoes in a bowl or deep saucepan and cover with boiling water. Place a plate on top of the tomatoes to keep them submerged under the boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the tomatoes from the water and once cool enough to handle, peel the skin from the tomatoes.
- Chop roughly and set aside until ready to use.
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 658mg | Potassium: 624mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 6173IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 3mg