Tomato, carrot and lentil soup is a must add to your recipe repertoire if you need a quick and easy meal the whole family can enjoy. Coming together in just 20 minutes with a handful of pantry and fridge staples, this is one meal you will find yourself turning to time and time again. Perfect for meatless Monday as is, or easily switched up for the meat-eaters in the family by adding some shredded chicken. Easily made ahead of time and packs well for lunch the next day.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Aromatic Tomato, Carrot and Lentil Soup
This carrot lentil soup is a must add to your recipe collection.
Quick and easy to bring together in roughly 20 minutes and easily adaptable to the varying tastes of every family member.
It requires only a handful of pantry and fridge staples such as:
- Red Lentils
- Mustard Powder
- Vegetable stock
Making it the perfect midweek meal.
Also able to be made ahead of time and simply reheated on the stovetop or in the microwave when dinnertime rolls around.
Add some traditional bread croutons or some kale croutons for something a little bit different and you are good to go.
Substitutions and Variations For a Carrot And Lentil Soup To Suit Everyone.
Make It Spicy
I like to make this a spicy tomato and lentil soup for myself, adding a few dashes of chili flakes once served so I don’t get any whinging from the kids.
Make It For A Meat-Eater
For the diehard meat-eater in the family simply add some shredded chicken to bulk the soup up a bit.
Make It Smooth and Creamy
For this version of carrot and lentil soup, I blend half of that batch of soup and mix that in with the rest, so it’s a little bit creamy but you get a nice bit of texture in there too.
For those ‘smooth-soup-lovers’ feel free to go ahead and blend the whole thing. The red lentils give a great creaminess to the soup while still keeping it vegan. This way it can also be enjoyed as a soup drink from a mug or a thermos.
I use an immersion blender when blending the whole batch. This one is great, I received one for my 21st birthday and it is still going strong (I know, a weird present to receive when you are 21….but I started appreciating it in my 30’s!)
Why This Carrot and Lentil Soup Recipe Needs To Be In Your Collection.
If I haven’t convinced you with the reasons above, this vegan lentil soup is also:
- Easily made ahead
Only a handful of ingredients are required, none of them anything fancy you will have to run to a specialty store for.
Bonus: seeing as most of us will have a huge bag of red lentils at the back of the pantry that has been there for months, this is great for finally using them up!
Tastes delicious too.
Please go the extra step and peel the tomatoes. It really isn’t that hard and gives the soup a much smoother finish.
Need More Vegan Lentil Recipes?
Now let’s use up some more of those lentils at the back of the pantry with these delicious vegan lentil recipes:
- Healthy Cauliflower Soup With Carrot Cumin and Lentils
- Vegan Nut Roast From Fab Food 4 All
- Homemade Pappadums From Scratch from The Things We’ll Make
- Quick and Easy Lentil Vegan Bolognese From Delightful Adventures
- Lentil Tabbouli Salad From Striped Spatula
Aromatic Tomato, Carrot and Lentil Soup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or cooking oil of choice
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (more to taste optional)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 large carrots, diced into roughly 2cm cubes
- 4 medium tomatoes skinned (I used Truss) see notes for tips on skinning
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the EVOO in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Once heated, add the onions and garlic and allow to sweat for about 2 minutes. They should be tender but not starting to brown yet.
- Add the mustard powder, chilli and turmeric, and stir to combine.
- Add the carrots and sauteé for about 3 minutes, until they have softened slightly.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stock and lentils and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Remove from the heat and add in the lemon juice.
- Remove 2-3 cups of the soup and blend until smooth. Add back into the main saucepan, add salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine.
- Remove the stems and tops.
- With a small knife (I find a serrated knife works best), score the skin of the tomato on top, to make a large X.
- Place the tomatoes in a bowl or deep saucepan and cover with boiling water. Place a plate on top of the tomatoes to keep them submerged under the boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the tomatoes from the water and once cool enough to handle, peel the skin from the tomatoes.
- Chop roughly and set aside until ready to use.
If you enjoyed this recipe then you might want to try these:
- Slow Cooker Potato Leek and Cheddar Soup
- Sarah’s Tortellini Soup For The Soul
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Pressure Cooker Carrot Ginger and Turmeric Soup
- One-Pot Oven Roasted Chicken In Immunity Boosting Broth
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3