Let me tell you about my 40 minute honey wheat dinner rolls….
It was 30F when we headed to the farmer’s market on Sunday. We must have looked like a couple of eejits, manoeuvring a huge double stroller around the busy stalls at 7am, with two kids so bundled up, you could basically only see their eyes. Oh and the hands reaching out for a share once we hit the pear stand.
You would think that I would be used to the cold, having grown up in Ireland. Or in the least, it wouldn’t have felt so bad seeing as we spent a few nights sleeping in a bare essentials cabin in the snow at Yosemite a couple of weeks beforehand. Nope, I was freezey cold.
We got our supplies and hightailed it out of there pretty quickly. Oh, and in case you are thinking we are awesome for still going to the markets at 7am, when it is that cold – it was all in the name of self preservation….bad night with whiney kids, means getting out of the house (and having someone else hand me a coffee), is essential business for the day.
So, when I was making our ‘warm-up’ soup for dinner later, I realised we had left in such a hurry we hadn’t grabbed any bread from the market. The soup was on, and everyone was hungry, so there was no nipping out to the shops. Long story short, I came up with these little 40 Minute Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls, and I am very happy with them indeed. On the table 40 minutes from start to finish, these honey wheat dinner rolls are subtly sweetened with a hint of local honey, and are really quite delicious. If you like cornbread, I have a honeyed version of that too 🙂
There is a lot of yeast in these rolls, which is necessary, since we are giving them the bare minimum in rise time. But I guarantee you, there is no yeasty flavour to them.
40 Minute Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls are perfect for when you are in a bind, or if you want to look all fancy with homemade rolls, but don’t have the patience/energy/time for the knead/rise/knead/rise versions. Plus, the oven will warm up your kitchen some, which is always a nice bonus 🙂
40 Minute Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
- cup ⅓ olive oil
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- teaspoon ½ salt
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 egg
- 3 cups ½ flour I used white whole wheat
- Preheat oven to 400F. Combine the warm water, oil, yeast, and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer, and allow the mixture to rest for about 15 minutes (see note)
- Once the 15 minutes is up, and the yeast is frothy, add in the honey, 2 cups of the flour, along with the salt, and the egg. Combine with a dough hook attachment
- Add in the remaining flour ½ a cup at a time. Combine well
- Shape the dough into 12 balls and pop onto a lined baking tray. Let dough rest for 20 minutes
- Bake for 10 minutes or until tops are just golden brown. Serve and enjoy