Soup weather is finally here, and we have been loving this sweet potato and corn chowder! No cream required, this soup is loaded with just good things and is a great way to these those veggies in little bellies.
Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder
Soup weather may not sound that exciting to some, but if you have been living somewhere like California, where it has been stinking hot for pretty much FOREVER, you would be excited too.
I have celebrated by making soup. A whole lotta soup. So much soup in fact, that when my husband came home from work last night he asked ‘is it soup week here or something?’ He may or not be over it. I’m fine with it either way.
There’s something so so comforting about a big pot of steaming soup on the stove, especially when it is cold, dark and rainy outside. Probably a swing back to my childhood in Northern Ireland, where it rained a lot (and I mean a lot), and we ate a lot of soup (and I mean a lot).
This Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder is really easy, and is a great way to get the kiddies eating all their veggies. You can save time by using canned corn, but the fresh stuff tastes way better, and is so worth the extra 5 minutes prep time you will need. From start to finish you can be done in 30 minutes max. If you want to start using a super easy Homemade Vegetable Broth, be sure to check the recipe out here.
If you have a handheld immersion blender, it can all be made in one pot. I don’t, so I blend in two batches in the vitamix - I also like to do it this way to make sure its super smooth for thermos lunch purposes the next day. Oh and this sweet potato and corn chowder freezes well, so you can always pop some in the freezer for a busy night.
For some cold weather soup ideas, check out my Cream of Broccoli and Pistachio Soup or for something a bit different check out my Oven Roasted Chicken in Immunity Boosting Broth, where you get a soup and a whole roast chicken in the one pot.
What is your favourite soup to celebrate the cooler weather coming through. Make sure to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you. Happy eating!
Sweetcorn and Sweet Potato Chowder
- Shuck and corn and use a sharp knife to cut the kernels off
- Cut the onion, bell pepper, sweet potato into little cubes, about 1 cm big. Mince the garlic
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in the onion and fry until fragrant (about 2 mins). Add the garlic and fry for another minute. Pop in the rest of the veg (bell pepper and sweet potato), and cook for another 2 minutes
- Add in the corn, vegetable stock, and the paprika and let simmer until the sweet potato is nice and tender - about 10-15 minutes
- Turn off the heat. Use an immersion blender to blend right there in the pot, or blend in a blender in a couple of batches. Return the soup to the pot, add in the lemon juice and the basil and salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy
Leftover sweet potatoes after making this Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder? Check out these recipes featuring this versatile veggie: