Change up your breakfast routine and indulge in Savory French Toast complete with bacon, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes. The perfect way to spend a lazy Sunday morning or a special occasion.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Savory French Toast
You know what they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Whether you are having a lazy Sunday morning with the paper, or a family celebration, this Savory French Toast will fit right in to make that first meal of the day something special.
What You Need For This Savory French Toast Recipe
We keep the ingredients here pretty simple, so you will need:
- 4 slices of bread, cut into triangle halves
- Almond milk or whole milk
- Portobello mushrooms
- Cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Coconut sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped parsley and maple syrup to serve (optional)
As you can see, we are going to get some fantastic flavors with savory mushrooms, smoky bacon, and a little bit of sweetness from the coconut sugar and the maple syrup.
How To Make Savory French Toast
If you have made French toast before, then you are an old hand and know that no special skills are required.
If this is your first venture into homemade French toast, don't be scared, this is a super easy meal to whisk up.
You will have a delicious breakfast on the table in no time.
- Whisk the egg, coconut sugar and milk together.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat with butter.
- Dip both sides of each slice of bread in the egg mixture. Add to the hot skillet and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Transfer the cooked french toast to 2 plates.
- Clean the skillet with some absorbent kitchen paper.
- Heat the skillet on medium heat with the oil. Stir fry the garlic, bacon, and mushrooms until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for about 30 seconds, until just starting to soften and just heated through.
- Adjust the taste with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Top your plated french toast with the mushroom mixture and sprinkle on some parsley and drizzle with syrup to serve.
The whole thing should come together in about 15 minutes.
If you want to make savory french toast for more than 2 people, just adjust the quantities in the recipe as required.
Need Some More Breakfast Options?
Of course you do, who doesn't love a good brekkie?!?
(Actually my hubby doesn't, which is so sad because it's my favorite meal and I love spending time on a delicious breakfast!)
Check these out:
- Almond Butter Coconut Toast with Chocolate Drizzle
- Feta and Mushrooms on Toast Recipe
- Clear Out The Crisper Spinach and Feta Veggie Omelette
- Date and Banana Oat Flour Waffles In The Blender
- Easy Broccoli and Cheddar Rainbow Veggie Slice
- Cumin Spiced Farro Breakfast Bowl
- Bacon and Egg Galettes
Savory French Toast with Mushrooms, Bacon and Cherry Tomatoes
- 150 ml milk of choice
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 4 slices of bread cut in half into triangles
- 1 tbsp butter see notes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3/4 cup diced bacon
- 2 large portobello mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley to serve
- maple syrup to serve
- Whisk egg, sugar and milk together.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat and add in the butter.
- Dip both sides of each slice of bread into the egg mixture. Cook in the skillet until golden brown on each side (you may have to do this in two batches depending on how big your skillet is). Transfer french toast to 2 plates.
- Give the skillet a quick clean with some kitchen paper and then heat the skillet on medium heat and add in the oil. Once the oil is hot, stir fry the garlic, bacon and mushrooms until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes and cook for about 30 seconds. Add salt and pepper as needed and remove the skillet from the heat.
- Pile the mushroom mixture on top of the french toast. Sprinkle with some parsley and a dizzle of maple syrup to serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3