If you are in need of a healthy, quick and easy afternoon snack these Ham and Pea Fritters tick all the boxes. They are a cinch to pull together, taste delicious and store well if you have any leftovers. Speaking of leftovers, these are a great way to use up leftover peas or ham from last night’s dinner.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
5 Ingredient Ham and Pea Fritters
We love little pea fritters like this.
They work great as snacks in the kid’s lunch boxes when they start to get sick of sandwiches at the end of the term, and they also make a great after-school snack.
With only 5 ingredients they really do come together so quickly. You are going to need:
- Peas: you can use fresh or frozen. I use frozen here and just thaw them in a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes before using. If you are using fresh you will want to pop them in some boiling water for a couple of minutes before using. If you prefer a softer texture then you will want to do this with the frozen peas as well.
- Ham: deli ham or leftover cooked ham is fine. Just chop it up (and be sure to check the ingredients: see below for more information)
- Wholemeal flour
- Baking powder
Substitutions and Variations
Look for deli ham that is all natural with no nitrites or nitrates. If you can’t find any then you can always sub for a good quality natural bacon which can sometimes be easier to find. Just fry it up until cooked, blot off the excess grease with a paper towel or cloth and then chop into rough 1cm chunks.
These pea fritters are also a great way to use up leftover cooked ham. Just chop into small chunks and continue with the recipe as is.
Can we get rid of the ‘bits’?
If you have a child (or an adult) that doesn’t like ‘bits’ in their food you can always blend the fritters in a blender or food processor before cooking.
They will look different as they will be completely green, but they will taste just as good.
Made The Pea Fritters and Need Some Similar Recipes?
I have got you.
We make fritters ALL the time. They are our go-to afternoon snack and I like to change things up so we aren’t eating the same thing all the time. Here are a few of our favorites:
- 4 Ingredient Corn Cakes
- Broccoli and Feta Fritters
- Cauliflower and Parmesan Fritters
- Zucchini Feta and Quinoa Bites
If you have any favorite veggie fritters/pancakes or bites I would love to hear about it in the comments. Or if you want one made up using a favorite ingredient of yours let me know and we will see what we can do!
5 Ingredient Ham and Pea Fritters
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen: see notes for prep needed)
- 1/2 cup chopped ham deli ham, bacon or leftover ham will work here
- 2 eggs (for vegan alternative: see notes)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp cooking oil of choice (I use avocado, but olive oil or coconut oil work well too)
- In a large bowl, mix the peas and ham with the egg until coated.
- Using a sieve, slowly add in the flour and the baking powder to the pea mixture, and gently combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat some cooking oil of choice (I used avocado oil) in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add a tablespoon to 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time (depending on how big you want the fritters).
- Cook for about 3 minutes on one side, or until it's lightly browned, flip, and cook another 3 minutes, or until it's lightly browned. Remove and repeat for all the other pea fritters.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool and then store in an airtight container in the fridge.
If you enjoyed this recipe then you might want to try these:
- Minty Pea and Almond Salad from The Rustic Foodie
- Sweet Pea Salad from The Wholesome Dish
- Pasta and Pea Salad from Beyond The Chicken Coop
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3