If you have been hanging around my little home on the internet for any amount of time, you will know I am a big fan of fritters, bites and poppers. I tend to make up a batch of one or two veggie based bites to have on hand for snack attacks throughout the weeks. Here is another one – Spiced Cauliflower Parmesan Fritters.
I had some spare veg to use up from various meals we enjoyed throughout the week. When I first looked at the little pile of cauliflower, carrots and peas, I was reminded of the veg I would be served most nights with my dinner as a kid – and I was not enthused. I had to jazz it up a bit, to resurrect this veggie combo from the lump of overcooked and mushy veg my mum favoured for a few years there (sorry mum – her veggies are much better now by the way).
So I threw in some parmesan (cheese makes everything better don’t ya know), and some spices and made them into little fritters. I serve mine with some labne and humus for a snack, or if I don’t have time for dinner, I serve it up with a big salad to make it a proper and more substantial meal. They are super quick to whip up, which is great for meal prep purposes 🙂
In case you need some convincing as to how great these spiced cauliflower parmesan fritters are, as soon as I finished taking photos of this batch, my chief recipe tester (my one year old), woke up from his nap and ate four of these babies. Yes he is a porker.
If you need some more fritters and poppers to have one hand for quick snacking, check out my
Do you have fritters on hand for quick snacking? I would love to hear from you. Be sure to leave a comment, like on Facebook, or pin to Pinterest for later. Happy eating.
Spiced Cauliflower Parmesan Fritters
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Avocado oil for cooking or oil of choice
- Combine the water, cauliflower, carrots and peas in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for about 4 minutes, and drain well. Whilst in the colander, press down hard on the veg with a piece of paper towel, to drain excess water.
- Transfer veg to a cutting board and chop everything finely
- Pop the chopped veg into a large bowl; add in the flour and stir to coat. Then add in the cheese, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, green onions, and egg and combine. It should be fairly wet and sticky
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mixture to the skillet an flatten slightly. Each fritter should consist of about 1/4 cup of the mixture (I used an ice cream scoop)
- Cook for about 4 minutes on each side (remember to flip halfway through), until nice and golden. Pop onto a plate lined with paper towel to remove any excess oil. Serve with hummus, yoghurt, lane, ketchup, or nice big salad, for something more substantial. Enjoy