If you have been hanging around my little home on the internet for any amount of time, you will know I am a big fan of fritters, bites and poppers. I tend to make up a batch of one or two veggie based bites to have on hand for snack attacks throughout the weeks. Here is another one – Spiced Cauliflower Parmesan Fritters.
I had some spare veg to use up from various meals we enjoyed throughout the week. When I first looked at the little pile of cauliflower, carrots and peas, I was reminded of the veg I would be served most nights with my dinner as a kid – and I was not enthused. I had to jazz it up a bit, to resurrect this veggie combo from the lump of overcooked and mushy veg my mum favoured for a few years there (sorry mum – her veggies are much better now by the way).
So I threw in some parmesan (cheese makes everything better don’t ya know), and some spices and made them into little fritters. I serve mine with some labne and humus for a snack, or if I don’t have time for dinner, I serve it up with a big salad to make it a proper and more substantial meal. They are super quick to whip up, which is great for meal prep purposes 🙂
In case you need some convincing as to how great these spiced cauliflower parmesan fritters are, as soon as I finished taking photos of this batch, my chief recipe tester (my one year old), woke up from his nap and ate four of these babies. Yes he is a porker.
If you need some more fritters and poppers to have one hand for quick snacking, check out my
Do you have fritters on hand for quick snacking? I would love to hear from you. Be sure to leave a comment, like on Facebook, or pin to Pinterest for later. Happy eating.
Packed full of veg and spice, these little fritters are the perfect snack to have on hand throughout the week. Serve with hummus, labne, ketchup, or a nice big salad for something more substantial.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Avocado oil for cooking or oil of choice
Combine the water, cauliflower, carrots and peas in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for about 4 minutes, and drain well. Whilst in the colander, press down hard on the veg with a piece of paper towel, to drain excess water.
- Transfer veg to a cutting board and chop everything finely
- Pop the chopped veg into a large bowl; add in the flour and stir to coat. Then add in the cheese, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, green onions, and egg and combine. It should be fairly wet and sticky
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mixture to the skillet an flatten slightly. Each fritter should consist of about 1/4 cup of the mixture (I used an ice cream scoop)
Cook for about 4 minutes on each side (remember to flip halfway through), until nice and golden. Pop onto a plate lined with paper towel to remove any excess oil. Serve with hummus, yoghurt, lane, ketchup, or nice big salad, for something more substantial. Enjoy