Quick, easy and delicious, this healthy cauliflower soup with carrot, cumin and lentils is the perfect match for spring, with its fresh and zesty flavours.
This super delicious and healthy cauliflower soup came about from my Mother’s Day present from my hubby last year. You see, as a surprise my lovely hubby left the 3-year-old and I to snuggle, while he took our rambunctious 1-year-old to the farmers market at 7am to keep the house nice and quiet. He returned victorious with 3 heads of cauliflower and 3 bunches of carrots. There were lots of other goodies as well, of course, but the carrots and cauliflower are what stand out (perhaps because of the sheer volume??). And no, he has no idea why he got so much either! Don’t worry, I have it covered 🙂
Even though spring is here (sorry to those of you still experiencing the wild weather), I still find myself wanting to indulge in some good soup. You would think with the heat on the rise it would be all salads and grills at our place, but I find I tend to still have really intense cravings for soup, leftovers from a childhood in Ireland perhaps? OR, I just really like soup 🙂
To make this healthy cauliflower soup more ‘springy’ I have completely lightened it by adding lots of coconut and zesty lime flavours, making it totally workable on those hotter days! It is great eaten straight away with some homemade bread rolls, or packed into some little mason jars and popped into the fridge for a transportable lunch during the week.
How about you, do you still crave soup even when the weather is heating up (or am I just weird)? I would love to hear from you, so be sure to leave a comment if you give this healthy cauliflower soup with carrot and cumin a try!!
If you are in need of some more recipes using lentils then you should check these out:
- Cold Lentil Salad from The Healthy Home Cook;
- Sheet Pan Salmon, Lentils and Asparagus from My Kitchen Love;
- Summer Lentil Salad from Five Heart Home.
Healthy Cauliflower Soup with Carrot Cumin and Lentils
- 1 tsp cooking oil of choice I used coconut oil
- 1 small brown onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 4 carrots diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp fresh coriander chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 head cauliflower chopped into small florets
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed well
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 lime juiced and zested for the soup
- 1 lime juiced and zested for serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
- lime wedges and cilantro to serve
- Heat cooking oil in a large saucepan over med-high heat. Once hot, pop in the onions, celery and carrots and sauté the veggies until the onions are translucent, about 5 mins
- Add in the garlic, ginger, cumin and cilantro and stir fry for another 2 minutes
- Add in the stock, cauliflower and lentils. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked
- Add in the coconut milk, and the juice and zest of one lime. Give it a stir and season to taste. Bring to a simmer again. Once simmering remove from the heat
- Serve hot with lime wedges, a squeeze of lime juice on top and some freshly chopped cilantro