Mushroom and Smashed Avocado Tacos are going to change your Taco Night forever! Super thin slices of marinated mushrooms combine with creamy avocado to make for a taste sensation that will have you coming back time and time again.
I was a vegetarian when I met my husband a million years ago. He was not. Within a couple of months I had caved to the pressure and was no longer vegetarian either….he is the youngest of four and
is was very adept at pestering until he got what he wanted. I, on the other hand, was a very impressionable 19-year-old who was way too skinny and whose hair had started falling out in clumps; so lets just say vanity got the better of me.
Needless to say, I was a very bad vegetarian, and didn’t eat a proper diet – mashed potatoes and 2 minute noodles were my staples (I have learned a lot since then).
These days we have reached a happy medium and follow more of a flexitarian diet, where I make some chicken or red meat probably two nights a week. It was hard getting my husband to this point as he
is was very much a ‘vegetables are the side dish, where’s the meat‘ kinda guy. There was a lot of whining. But we made it. There’s still some whining, but I am better at tuning it out now 🙂
Mushroom and Smashed Avocado Tacos
These mushroom and smashed avocado tacos, for me, were the turning point in that journey. There were no initial complaints (perhaps because they look like they contain thin strips of beef?) and nowadays he happily requests them time and time again. Yay!
In fact, this is one of the few recipes in our house to find itself as a guest of honour on the menu plan every couple of months. That’s a big achievement around here, as I always have a million dishes I want to try, and rarely repeat the same dish twice. They are that awesome 🙂
Handy tip for those with toddlers: my kids will NOT eat mushroom tacos…and really the fight just isn’t worth it. So instead I use a couple extra tortillas add some cheese and make some little mushroom quesadillas (fondly referred to as bacon quesadillas…I won’t tell if you don’t), which they happily devour.
Looking for some more meal inspiration? Check out these favourites:
Fancy Mushroom and Smashed Avocado Tacos
- 2 lbs mushrooms baby portobellos/brown/white button - I use a mixture
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 clove large garlic minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp diced red onion plus extra for serving
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 2 avocado roughly mashed
- 1 lime
- 3 tbsps freshly chopped cilantro for serving cilantro
- Crumbled goats cheese for serving optional
- Slice the mushrooms as thinly as possible using a mandolin or the thinnest setting on the slicing side of a grater (see note)
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and add the avocado oil. Add all the mushrooms to the skillet and allow to cook, almost undisturbed, for about 15 minutes
- Add in the tamari, garlic, paprika, and red onion and cook for another 5 minutes until all the liquid has gone and the mushrooms have become dark brown and almost crispy. Remove from the heat
- Warm the corn tortillas and top with the mashed avocado
- Top with the mushrooms, chopped coriander, a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of raw red onion. Crumble some goats cheese on top and you are good to go (if you are vegan, no goats cheese)
Have you tried these mushroom and smashed avocado tacos? I would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave a comment, share on Facebook, or pin to Pinterest for later. Happy Eating!
Looking for more vegetarian taco ideas? Check these out from around the web:
- Southwest Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos from Delightful Adventures;
- Potato Tacos with Avocado Salsa from The Rustic Foodie.