With the weather cooling down you absolutely need this ricotta cannelloni in your life. It is simple, comforting, delicious, and belly-warming. Tubes of pasta filled with mushroom and herbed ricotta - perfection! Get the whole family involved - the kids will have a blast stuffing the shells.
This recipe has been updated from the original September 2015 version in order to provide a better experience for our readers. This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust.
This recipe came about after spending the most amazing week traveling around with family.....eating. Technically it was a family vacation, but we literally spent the entire time eating (and drinking), I'm not gonna sugarcoat it....we ate....lots.
Which tends to happen with all our family vacations. What can I say, we like food.
So on this particular trip, one of the most fantastic meals we shared, was at a little restaurant in Carmel, CA called Casanova.
Every.Single.Thing we ordered was amazeballs.
Even the kid's menu was awesome. Normally I steer clear of kids menus because they tend to consist of hot dogs and nuggets, but here?!? Here my two-year-old dined on some homemade in-house potato and spinach gnocchi that they have had on the menu since 1976 or something! And it was so good I would happily have ordered a serve for myself (and yes...I did eat the leftovers).
Tell me About This Mushroom and Herbed Ricotta Cannelloni.
Anyway, I digress. One of the dishes we ordered was a beautiful mushroom and ricotta cannelloni with duck confit.
This is my version....
A family-friendly version...with no duck confit.
It is in no way as fancy as our lovely restaurant counterpart, because, let's face it...I am making this whilst my two-year-old is sitting on the bench begging to help, and my 1-year-old is sitting in the highchair banging anything he can get out of the only drawer he can reach.
But this one still tastes soooo good! I promise.
I hope you love it.
I for one love leftovers and this tasted absolutely amazing the next day....and I was so hungry I didn't even heat it up. I used my Fresh Heirloom Tomato Sauce, which gave the whole dish an extra sweetness, but if you don't have time to make a sauce from scratch, then a good quality marinara will work just as well.
Pssst I use my big lodge skillet for this recipe, grab one for yourself here:
What do you think? I would love to hear from you. Be sure to leave a comment, like on Facebook, tweet to Twitter or pin for later. Have a great week! Happy eating.
Mushroom and Herbed Ricotta Cannelloni
Clicking any equipment link above will earn me a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- 1 box cannelloni shells or homemade if you have the time
- 2 cups marinara sauce of choice or 1 jar
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups white button mushrooms chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1 ½ cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese grated and divided into two
- 2 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the box. If you are using fresh pasta, it does not need to be pre-cooked
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until it becomes aromatic, but has not browned. Add in the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned
- While the mushrooms are cooking, mix the ricotta with the chopped parsley and thyme. Once the mushrooms are browned add them to the ricotta mixture, along with half of the parmigiano. Season with salt and pepper and stir well to combine
- Stuff the cannelloni tubes with the mixture (see notes for a tip)
- In the same skillet you used for cooking the mushrooms, add half of the marinara sauce and the water. Arrange the cannelloni on top of the sauce, and then top that with the remaining sauce and the rest of the parmigiano
- Cover with aluminium foil and pop into the oven for 30 minutes