This Chicken Shawarma Salad With Garlic Yogurt Sauce is going to blow your mind! A layer of crispy lettuce is topped with a veritable herb garden of tabbouleh and the most amazing marinated chicken you will ever taste. Top it off with the garlic yogurt sauce and a dollop of hummus and just wait for the flavor explosion that will have you coming back again and again.
Chicken Shawarma Salad
Ok not gonna lie, just looking at the ingredients and instructions for this recipe is going to make you feel tired. It looks like a tremendous undertaking, but I promise, once you get started it actually comes together relatively quickly. And you can have an AH-mazing dinner on the table in under an hour.
Everything can be made ahead of time as well, here is a little timeline for you to help with meal planning:
- Garlic Yogurt Sauce: can be made 3 days ahead of time and stored in the fridge;
- Chicken Shawarma: chicken can be marinated overnight, or you can cook it, cool it and store it in the fridge, and slice it when ready to use.
- Tabbouleh: actually tastes BETTER if you make it a day or two before.
The chicken is OUT OF THIS WORLD amazing, and will seriously have you coming back for more. My eldest daughter ate 3 servings and my youngest was stained a lovely shade of yellow, thanks to the turmeric and her rush to get it all in her mouth. Other than in a chicken shawarma salad, it goes great in a number of other dishes too:
- Thinly sliced on a homemade pizza with a super garlicky tomato sauce as a base;
- In a wrap or a sandwich with a spoonful of the tabbouleh, hummus, and garlic sauce;
- On its own straight out of the fridge if you just need the protein.
We just love to hear from you, so if you try out our Chicken Shawarma Salad be sure to pop back and leave a comment. Happy Eating.
Looking for something to serve alongside your Middle Eastern inspired feast? Check out these great recipes from other bloggers that sound all kinds of amazing:
- Persian Pea and Herb Little Bakes with Beetroot Labneh from My Kitchen Love;
- and for dessert some Middle Eastern Inspired Tea Cookies from Eye Candy Popper.
Chicken Shawarma Salad With Garlic Yogurt Sauce
Clicking any equipment link above will earn me a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb chicken breasts (boneless and skin less)
- 1 large onion, sliced into wedges
- ½ cup fine grind bulghur wheat (if you can't find it then sub in some cooked quinoa)
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 3 cups flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup mint, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Garlic Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 romaine lettuce, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl whisk together the spices, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. Add in the chicken and onions and give everything a good mix, making sure the chicken is well coated.
- If you have time to leave the chicken to marinade then awesome, do that. I never do so I always cook it straight away and it is still fantastic.
- Add everything to a baking dish and pop into the preheated oven for 40-45 mins, or until the chicken is brown and crispy on the edges.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest for about 5 mins before cutting it into slices.
- Place the bulghur in a small bowl and cover with the boiling water. Cover and sit about 20 minutes.
- Add all of the tabbouleh ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.
- When the bulghur is done, drain off any excess water and add to the herb and tomato mixture. Toss well to combine.
- If you can make this a day ahead of time it will taste even better, just store in the fridge until ready to use. If not then serve when needed.
Garlic Yogurt Sauce
- Combine the Yogurt Sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix. Cover and put in the fridge until required. You can keep this in the fridge for about 3 days.
- Start with a layer of romaine lettuce, add a big spoonful of tabbouleh, followed by sliced chicken (don't forget to drizzle in the sauce that chicken is sitting in - SO much flavor), a generous drizzle of garlic sauce and a dollop of hummus. Enjoy
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.