Welcome springtime, Holiday season or even just a nice brunch with these light and delicious Honeyed Ricotta and Asparagus wrapped in puff pastry. These little squares of golden puff pastry stuffed with honey, ricotta, pancetta, asparagus and a little bit of lemon zest will have you winning at hostess with only the bare minimum of effort involved.
Honeyed Ricotta and Asparagus Wrapped In Puff Pastry
I just love asparagus, and I can think of no better pairing than some creamy ricotta, pancetta, sweet honey and delicious lemon zest.
These flavours combine to give you the most flavourful asparagus appetizers which will have your guests coming back for more. You will need:
- Puff pastry sheet
- Ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Lemon zest, and
- An egg
If you don’t have pancetta, or it is hard to come across where you live, then you can always sub in a slice of good quality deli ham.
Don’t Skip The Lemon Zest
Don’t skip the lemon zest, it really adds such a great little zing to these asparagus bundles, and a little bit of freshness to cut through the richness of the pastry and the cheese.
Asparagus wrapped in puff pastry are just that. They are super easy to put together and make such a fancy little appetizer to serve up at your next Holiday party or brunch. Simply:
- Cut the puff pastry into 6 squares
- Brush the puff pastry sheets with egg wash and then spoon the ricotta mixture evenly between the sheets
- Drizzle the honey on top of the ricotta mixture
- Place a slice of pancetta on top of the parmesan mixture, followed by about 3 asparagus spears and a little sprinkle of lemon zest
- Drizzle on some olive oil and use a pastry brush to brush over the asparagus
- Wrap the Puff Pastry
- Brush with some more egg wash,
- pop on the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden and puffed
How To Serve Asparagus Bundles
Asparagus Bundles are super easy to whip up and are always well received at potlucks and gatherings.
In fact, they are just perfect for an Easter brunch or a Mother’s Day lunch as they are fancy but completely fuss-free. Just what you want when you have guests over!
Plus they can be eaten one-handed which always comes in handy when you are socialising 🙂 If you need something a bit more substantial, they pair nicely with a fresh salad to make a filling but light main meal.
I love to hear from you, so be sure to pop back and leave a comment. And if you need some more inspiration for easy puff pastry appetizers for your next brunch or party then check these out:
- Cheddar Cheese and Caramelized Onion Puff Pastry Appetizer
- Mixed Maple Berry Pastries with Mascarpone Cream
- Mini Brie Bites with Onion Jam
- Pizza Pinwheels from Cook It Real Good
Honeyed Ricotta and Asparagus Bundles
- 1 frozen Puff Pastry Sheet, thawed according to package directions
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp pure honey
- 1 small bunch asparagus (about 1/2lb), woody ends removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 slices pancetta (alternatively use nitrate-free ham)
- zest from one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg, plus 1 tbsp water for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking tray with some parchment paper
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the Puff Pastry Sheet out to a large square, about twice its size. Cut into 6 equal squares
- In a small bowl combine the ricotta and parmesan and stir well
- Brush the Puff Pastry Sheets with the egg wash. Spoon the ricotta-parmesan mixture evenly between the 6 Sheets and spread it with the back of the spoon. Drizzle the honey on top of the ricotta mixture
- Place a slice of pancetta on top of the parmesan mixture, followed by about 3 asparagus spears and a little sprinkle of lemon zest. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and use a pastry brush to brush over the asparagus. Salt and pepper to taste
- Wrap the pancetta around the asparagus, then wrap the Puff Pastry. Make sure the Puff Pastry is overlapping and press down a little bit to ensure it sticks
- Brush the Puff Pastry with some more egg wash, pop on the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden and puffed. Serve immediately
If you enjoyed this recipe then you might want to try these:
- Lemon and Oregano Chicken Skewers
- Easy Smashed Potatoes with Garlic Butter and Rosemary
- Radish Pea and Quinoa Shaved Asparagus Salad
- Asparagus and Pea Risotto In The Instant Pot
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3