Welcome springtime, Holiday season or even just a nice brunch with these light and delicious Honeyed Ricotta and Asparagus wrapped in puff pastry. These little squares of golden puff pastry stuffed with honey, ricotta, pancetta, asparagus and a little bit of lemon zest will have you winning at hostess with only the bare minimum of effort involved.
Honeyed Ricotta and Asparagus Wrapped In Puff Pastry
I just love asparagus, and I can think of no better pairing than some creamy ricotta, pancetta, sweet honey and delicious lemon zest.
These flavours combine to give you the most flavourful asparagus appetizers which will have your guests coming back for more. You will need:
- Puff pastry sheet
- Ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Lemon zest, and
- An egg
If you don't have pancetta, or it is hard to come across where you live, then you can always sub in a slice of good quality deli ham.
Don't Skip The Lemon Zest
Don't skip the lemon zest, it really adds such a great little zing to these asparagus bundles, and a little bit of freshness to cut through the richness of the pastry and the cheese.
Asparagus wrapped in puff pastry are just that. They are super easy to put together and make such a fancy little appetizer to serve up at your next Holiday party or brunch. Simply:
- Cut the puff pastry into 6 squares
- Brush the puff pastry sheets with egg wash and then spoon the ricotta mixture evenly between the sheets
- Drizzle the honey on top of the ricotta mixture
- Place a slice of pancetta on top of the parmesan mixture, followed by about 3 asparagus spears and a little sprinkle of lemon zest
- Drizzle on some olive oil and use a pastry brush to brush over the asparagus
- Wrap the Puff Pastry
- Brush with some more egg wash,
- pop on the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden and puffed
How To Serve Asparagus Bundles
Asparagus Bundles are super easy to whip up and are always well received at potlucks and gatherings.
In fact, they are just perfect for an Easter brunch or a Mother’s Day lunch as they are fancy but completely fuss-free. Just what you want when you have guests over!
Plus they can be eaten one-handed which always comes in handy when you are socialising 🙂 If you need something a bit more substantial, they pair nicely with a fresh salad to make a filling but light main meal.
I love to hear from you, so be sure to pop back and leave a comment. And if you need some more inspiration for easy puff pastry appetizers for your next brunch or party then check these out:
- Cheddar Cheese and Caramelized Onion Puff Pastry Appetizer
- Mixed Maple Berry Pastries with Mascarpone Cream
- Mini Brie Bites with Onion Jam
- Pizza Pinwheels from Cook It Real Good
Honeyed Ricotta and Asparagus Bundles
- 1 frozen Puff Pastry Sheet, thawed according to package directions
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoon pure honey
- 1 small bunch asparagus (about ½lb), woody ends removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices pancetta (alternatively use nitrate-free ham)
- zest from one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg, plus 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking tray with some parchment paper
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the Puff Pastry Sheet out to a large square, about twice its size. Cut into 6 equal squares
- In a small bowl combine the ricotta and parmesan and stir well
- Brush the Puff Pastry Sheets with the egg wash. Spoon the ricotta-parmesan mixture evenly between the 6 Sheets and spread it with the back of the spoon. Drizzle the honey on top of the ricotta mixture
- Place a slice of pancetta on top of the parmesan mixture, followed by about 3 asparagus spears and a little sprinkle of lemon zest. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and use a pastry brush to brush over the asparagus. Salt and pepper to taste
- Wrap the pancetta around the asparagus, then wrap the Puff Pastry. Make sure the Puff Pastry is overlapping and press down a little bit to ensure it sticks
- Brush the Puff Pastry with some more egg wash, pop on the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden and puffed. Serve immediately
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Don’t forget to follow Whole Food Bellies on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration! Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post! Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
Elaine Del Buono says
they were delicious. will make for easter morning.
Oh yay, this makes me happy 🙂
In the video you do 4 pieces in the instructions you say 6 pieces. It says it serves 10. Please explain.
Hi Eileen, it's 6 servings (I don't know why the 10 was there, thanks for pointing it out, I have updated). In the video I only do 4 because it's quicker and people don't tend to watch videos that go for too long 🙂
Thanks so much.
Marie-Pierre Breton says
Asparagus!!! Love those little packs of happiness! and the honey drizzle mix with the salty pancetta and smooth ricotta is just a divine combination! Doing this tonight!
Oh yay, I hope you enjoy them!! The honey drizzle definitely takes them to the next level 🙂
I can't stop eating asparagus this spring, so this looks like the perfect recipe to satisfy my asparagus obsession. I bet that they would also be delicious with some prosciutto.
Definitely! Fresh asparagus is so good, I get so excited when it starts showing up at the markets 🙂
Absolutely delicious! They were a huge hit at Easter! Guests were coming back for seconds and thirds! YUM!
Oh I am so glad to hear that Michaela!! Thanks so much for taking the time to come back and leave a comment 🙂
This is my kind of appetizer - Sweet, salty, savory all wrapped up in a bundle!
Nicoletta @sugarlovespices says
They look lovely and certainly they are a perfect entertaining appetizer!
karrie @ Tasty Ever After says
I am totally addicted to puff pastry and could see myself making these for lunch every day. Also I would reheat the leftovers for breakfast and put a fried egg on top. Delicious!
Sue Ringsdorf says
Oh wow. These look absolutely amazing! I love asparagus so any way to serve it is 100% perfect for me. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
Elaine @ Dishes Delish says
Mmmm. These asparagus wraps look like pure comfort food. I love using puff pastry. Great way of serving Asparagus!