These Mini Cheese and Caramelized Onion Tart Puff Pastry Appetizers are the perfect little bite to serve up at your next party. They are super easy to put together, can be made in advance and they always disappear so quickly. They can be held in one hand without creating a big mess as well, which is always handy at a function!
Easy handheld pastries like this and my Feta and Pumpkin Phyllo Hand Pies are just perfect for entertaining. They can be prepped ahead of time and popped into the oven when guests start arriving.
Mini Cheese and Caramelized Onion Tart Puff Pastry Appetizer
This is basically a mini version of a caramelized onion tart using puff pastry, but with a bit of a twist making them into bite sized pinwheels for a great one-handed appetizer.
They are a great addition to lunch boxes, and also make an amazing dipping companion to a nice bowl of creamy roasted heirloom tomato soup, instead of the traditional grilled cheese.
These mini onion tart puff pastry appetizers are super easy to put together.
- make up a batch of caramelized onions;
- spread the onions over a sheet of puff pastry;
- sprinkle on some cheddar cheese;
- roll it up nice and tight;
- cut into roughly 1cm slices;
- bake and serve.
How To Make Balsamic Caramelized Onions
Ok so before you start this recipe you are going to need some caramelized onions.
You can always buy some from the store, they usually comes in jars from the preserved veggies section - where you would find the olives, sun-dried tomatoes etc.
You can also make your own.
Making your own balsamic caramelized onions does take a bit of time but it is so worth it. You can even make a huge batch, use some for these caramelized onion puff pastry appetizers, and then freeze the rest to use throughout the week in other recipes.
And it’s not that hard. All you will need is a heavy-based saucepan and:
- thinly sliced onions
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar glaze
For a step by step tutorial on how to make your own, pop on over here and then come back to make these caramelized onion puff pastry pinwheels: Balsamic Caramelized Onions.
The Best Way To Serve Up Cheese and Caramelized Onion Tart Puff Pastry Appetizer.
These are super versatile, some of the ways I serve them up:
- As is, straight from the oven
- Mini puff pastry appetizers like this make a great little snack to serve up at a cocktail style party as they can be held in one hand and don't make too much mess
- If you want something a little bit fancier you could always make a nice Fresh Heirloom Tomato Sauce for dipping
- They work well for dipping into soup instead of a traditional grilled cheese sandwich. Serving with a nice Creamy Roasted Heirloom Tomato Soup would work well
- Kids love them in lunch boxes
- They also work well as a side to a spaghetti for something different for moping up sauce rather than bread. Try them with this Tomato Cream Sauce with Pasta.
TIP: If you are intending to serve these as an appetizer and want them to look a wee bit more fancy then simply whisk an egg in a bowl and use a pastry brush to lightly brush the outside of each scroll before placing in the oven. This makes them more golden once cooked.
Can You Freeze Pre Made Puff Pastry Appetizers?
Puff pastry appetizers are fantastic to freeze!
Once they have cooled completely, store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Can They Be Re Cooked From Frozen?
Set the oven to 180C /350F. Place frozen scrolls onto a baking tray and then bake for 10 minutes, or until cooked through completely.
Mini Cheese and Caramelized Onion Tart Puff Pastry Appetizer
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- 1 cup balsamic caramelized onions
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F.
- Place puff pastry sheet on a clean, flat surface and spread caramelized onions evenly across the sheet.
- Sprinkle the cheese and some rosemary over the caramelized onion mixture, then roll the puff pastry sheet up tightly.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into 10 scrolls.
- Place scrolls on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat and then pop into the oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through completely.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Don’t forget to follow Whole Food Bellies on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration! Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post! Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
These are such a hit for any get-together! I love the richness of the caramelized onion with the puff pastry -- definitely plan on making these throughout the holiday season. Thanks for sharing!
Now these are truly one of the easiest to make yet flavorful pastry appetizers - ever! Love the shape and the steps - makes it a great recipe to have up your sleeve!
Amanda Mason says
You make these look so easy to make!! Loving the add of rosemary - I bet these are a big hit at football parties! I'm so making these soon!
Oh they are super easy!!
This puff pastry recipe is the perfect appetizer to have on hand for parties during football season!
Absolutely!! So easy to make and they always go down a treat!
Marisa F. Stewart says
Caramelized onions are the very best! I could live on appetizers - little bites of food full of delicious goodness. Cheese with onions make such a great combination. Fantastic appetizers that I know will be scarfed up in no time.
Oh they are aren't they, I could put them on everything!
Yes!!! These cheddar and onion puff pastry pinwheels look incredibly delicious and it just so happens that I was looking for another appetizer for tonight! Can't to try these beauties!
Dorothy Reinhold says
I think caramlized onions are a magical ingredient. This will be a staple at my parties from now on!
They are definitely a magical ingredient, with you on that!
Robin Daumit says
A perfect tapas or appetizer recipe simply by having puff pastry on hand!
Veena Azmanov says
This is so easy and yummy and best for a party platter too.
Jacqui Debono says
I am always looking for fresh ideas for appetizers, and these look so good!
This looks so so good. Thanks for sharing this unique party tizer.
Wow! This app looks and sounds more than amazing! I can't see these lasting long at parties at all. YUM!
They always disappear pretty quickly!
Those look delicious. I've been known to make a meal out of appetizers, so I'm down for these.
Haha you sound like someone after my own heart!
I love this recipe. It looks easy to make, and the ingredients are all so available in my store. I will serve this not only as an appetizer, but I will be including this in my son's pack lunch.
My kids love getting these in their lunchboxes!