Easy smashed potatoes are the perfect addition to your family table. Perfectly cooked potatoes, fluffy on the inside and crispy on the edges, they are then doused in butter, plenty of garlic and fresh rosemary. You won't be able to stop at one. You have been warned!
Easy smashed potatoes
Before you start I have a word of warning. Don't be like Donna (that's me)...don't get so excited about how delicious these are and eat the majority of the tray as soon as they come out of the oven.
That will give you a belly-ache.
These are to be shared...or at least not all eaten in one go.
You have been warned.
Moving on to these delicious and oh so easy smashed potatoes.
Although they are easy, smashed potatoes aren’t the quickest potato option around. There's a few steps involved:
- first we boil them until fork tender,
- then smash them,
- smother them in a delicious smashed garlic and oil mixture,
- then we bake them,
- and then we douse them in melted butter and rosemary.
I'm not salivating, you are!
Once you make them you are going to want to serve them up at every Holiday or hosted party you have.
They are my favourite part about Christmas (and I live in Australia so it is frickin hot here at Christmas!)
What Ingredients Are Needed?
Don't worry, nothing fancy needed here.
- olive oil (use the good stuff, you can taste the difference)
- chopped fresh rosemary
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
These potatoes are best served fresh, and really I very rarely have any leftovers...because I eat them all.
However if you find yourself with some leftovers they can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
To reheat, bake them in the oven at 425 until warmed through.
What To Serve With Easy Smashed Potatoes
Want to serve up a whole meal? Check these out:
- Homemade Oven Roasted Rotisserie-Style Chicken
- Or Crockpot Ranch Pork Chops from The Feathered Nester
- Creamy Garlic Roasted Parsnip Puree
- Hasselback Sage and Parmesan Sweet Potatoes
- Garlic Pepper Skillet Green Beans
- Sumach Roasted Carrots with Walnuts
- And top it all off with a Honey and Chai Spiced Warm Apple Crostata
Easy Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary
- 3 tablespoon good quality olive oil
- 2 lbs medium sized potatoes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and smashed/minced
- 6 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450F (235C)
- Pop the potatoes in a large pot and fill with cold water. With the heat of the stovetop being med-high bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the potatoes until they are just fork tender.
- Remove from the heat, strain and allow the potatoes to cool slightly.
- Brush a baking sheet with 1 ½ tablespoons of the olive oil. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet. Use a fork or a potato masher to smash the potatoes. Go gently, you want them to be smashed but still in one piece.
- Drizzle the rest of the olive oil over the potatoes. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast the potatoes for 15 mins. Take the potatoes out of the oven and sprinkle with the fresh garlic. Pop back into the oven for another 15 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- While the potatoes are roasting melt the butter. Once melted, stir the rosemary into the butter.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven when they are ready. Drizzle the butter and rosemary mixture oven the potatoes and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.