Step up your entertaining game these Holidays with this beautifully fragrant Marinated Goat Cheese Log using fresh herbs from the garden. This appetizer can be made ahead of time and served with slices of fresh baguette or some crunchy crackers for entertaining made easy.
This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust.
We love a good cheese board to put out for friends and family around the Holidays.
I also love to make it something a little extra special by marinating the cheese myself with herbs picked fresh from the garden. There is something so satisfying about pulling out a little jar of hand-marinated cheese and serving it with some fresh crusty baguette or those fancy little crackers filled with nuts and seeds.
Can The Kids Help Put This Marinated Goat Cheese Log Together?
This looks fantastic but it is so easy to put together your 5yo could do it. Not joking, I had my little one help by doing the following:
- picking the herbs from the garden;
- chopping the herbs with her kid approved knife;
- layering the goat cheese in the container;
- pouring over the oil;
- sprinkling the herbs on top of the mixture.
Can I Prep This Goat Cheese Log Ahead of Time?
Put everything together and store in an airtight container in the fridge for 24 hours. If you happen to store it longer than that the olive oil will solidify.
Don't worry, you can just take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature and it will be all ready for serving with your favorite crusty baguette.
How About Cutting This Goat Cheese?
My number one tip is: Do not use a knife. If you use a knife it is just going to crumble. Instead:
- use fishing wire;
- use dental floss (unscented);
- or invest in one of those fancy cheese cutters meant for stuff like this.
Personally I just use unscented dental floss to cut my goat cheese 😯 but you can always pick up one of these proper cheese slices for something a little fancier (p.s. this would make a great Holiday gift for the foodie in your life):
Need some more appetizers for the entertaining season? I have you covered:
Marinated Goat Cheese Log with Fresh Herbs
- 8 oz goat's cheese cut into 1/4 inch discs
- extra virgin olive oil enough to fill your container
- 1 tsp fresh basil julienned
- 1 tsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt to taste
- Line the container your container with a thin layer of olive oil.
- Lay down a layer of the sliced goat cheese on top of the oil. Top with half of the fresh herbs followed by a good sprinkle of salt and cracked pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and continue with another layer of cheese and herbs. The goat's cheese mixture should be completely covered by a thin layer of the oil.
- Cover and set aside, at room temperature for an hour or refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Serve at room temperature with bread or crackers. See notes