Simple, quick and delicious. Make these 4 Ingredient Teriyaki Chicken Skewers for your next weeknight meal and you will not be disappointed. I promise! Serve with a salad, some brown rice, some simple sesame egg noodles or in a buddha bowl with pineapple, spring onions, and cucumber. The options are limitless.
This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust.
4 Ingredient Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
These super easy Teriyaki Chicken Skewers are going to change your life.
I have long been a fan of honey, soy and garlic chicken, and have made a number of variations over the years. This one though, this one is PERFECT. Even though it is probably the easiest one I have come up with.
After the great response I had from my Chicken and Zucchini Skewers with Salsa Verde I thought it only right to come up with another chicken skewer recipe, more suitable for a weeknight meal.
With only 4 ingredients and one dish - this one couldn't be easier!
Plus kids seem to love eating food from a stick, so skewers are always a win for the whole family.
What Ingredients Are Needed?
For an easy weeknight meal, I like to keep the ingredients to a minimum, and as simple as possible.
That means there will be no running to the specialty stores!
You are going to need:
- chicken (I use breasts because I prefer it, but you can sub for chicken thighs if you want to keep the meal more budget-friendly, or if you prefer cooking with that cut)
- tamari (check the ingredients to make sure it is GF if you are following that diet)
- spring onions and sesame seeds are optional extras for serving if you have them on hand.
See, told you teriyaki chicken skewers make the perfect no-fuss weeknight meal.
How To Cook Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
If you are organized and plan in advance then pop the chicken in the marinade before you go to bed at night. Whilst not necessary, allowing the chicken to marinade all night does give you an altogether more intense flavor.
If you aren't as organized, you can do it in the morning, or at least an hour before cooking. Just a warning though, you will not get the same amazing flavor and moist chicken if you only soak for an hour as opposed to overnight.
Come dinnertime the following day, all you need to do is:
- thread the chicken onto some skewers,
- pop them under the broiler for a couple of minutes
- and serve any way you like (see below for serving suggestions)
Can These Be Made On The Grill/BBQ?
Yes, of course.
If you are feeling brave, you could always fire up the grill and get them nice and charred on there.
Because they are cut into smallish cubes, they won't take long to cook at all, so be sure to keep an eye on the chicken skewers to prevent burning.
At 108 degrees today, there's no way I am heading outside to cook, so let me know how it goes if you try grilling 🙂
If you are in the market for some reusable skewers, I have these ones and they do a perfect job:
If you only have wooden skewers, that works as well. Just be sure to soak them in some water for at least half an hour before cooking, otherwise, they will burn, and we don't want that.
What Should I Serve With 4 Ingredient Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
The best thing about this teriyaki chicken kabob is that because the flavors are so simple, it is really very versatile and can be served in many different ways.
Try some of these out (or leave a comment if you have a favorite way to serve them):
- with some cooked brown or white rice
- with some cauliflower or broccoli rice if you want to keep it low-carb
- alongside a Summer Stone Fruit Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- In a wrap or sandwich for lunch
- with some simple sesame egg noodles for dinner
- on top of a salad for a bit of protein
- in a buddha bowl - pairs well with rice, cucumber, grated carrot, maybe some chopped pineapple if you like it
- on top of a pizza for something different
When it comes to teriyaki chicken kabobs the options are plenty, so use your imagination and enjoy!
4 Ingredient Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup tamari reduced sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup raw honey
- ½ cup water
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- Cut the chicken into cubes and pop into a large glass dish with a lid
- Whisk together the tamari, honey, water and crushed garlic until well incorporated
- Pop about ¾ of the mixture on top of the chicken. Stir to combine, put on the lid, and pop into the fridge to marinade for at least 3 hours (up to overnight). Set the extra marinade aside for later.
- Thread the chicken onto 4 large metal skewers and set on a baking tray lined with parchment paper
- When you are ready turn the broiler to full heat (the grill for those not in the US). Divide the leftover marinade in half, into two separate bowls (one for brushing the chicken skewers and one for serving). Brush the chicken with some of the marinade from one bowl and pop under the broiler for 4 minutes on one side, turn over, brush again and broil for 4 minutes on the other side
- Serve up with the extra marinade and enjoy
If you enjoyed this recipe then you might want to try these:
- Lemon and Oregano Chicken Skewers
- Marinated Grilled Chicken Kabobs with Zucchini and Quick Salsa Verde
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3