Chai-infused yogurt and honey combines with crunchy granola, nuts, and seeds to bring you this delightful chocolate chai yogurt breakfast parfait recipe that is great for breakfast meal prep for a busy week. This easy breakfast is a real treat. This is a wonderful way to have a grab-n-go breakfast.
Chocolate Chai Yogurt Breakfast Parfait Recipe
This greek yogurt parfait has definitely made all the difference in us getting out the door on time in the morning lately!
Let me tell you, 3 kids dressed and ready and out the door by 8 am is no easy feat.
My saving grace is having breakfast organized the night before, so I have become the 'make-ahead breakfast queen'.
For me, a good breakfast needs to be nutritious and delicious, capable of getting me through the first few hours of the day, and easy to whip up the night before or meal prep a whole batch for a busy week ahead.
You are going to need:
- whole milk kefir: this can be found with the milk and yogurt in the cold section of the grocery store. If you do not have it you can use some extra yogurt instead;
- chocolate chai tea: this can be a teabag or looseleaf tea;
- 1 stick cinnamon: if you do not have cinnamon sticks you can always use ground cinnamon instead;
- whole milk plain yogurt: we used regular yogurt for this recipe, but you can easily sub in your preferred type of yogurt, be that plain greek yogurt, vanilla bean greek yogurt, almond milk yogurt, or coconut yogurt;
- honey: aim for local honey if it is within your budget;
- granola, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and coconut flakes for serving: this can be store-bought granola or homemade granola depending on the level of effort you want to put in. Find ideas for homemade granola below.
Simply soak the kefir with the tea, cinnamon, and honey overnight, much the same as you would with overnight oats.
First thing in the morning layer yogurt with alternate scoops of granola and seeds, top with fresh fruit if you want and you are good to go.
What a great way to start the day on the right foot!
How To Make Brekafast Parfait
For this recipe, I used some Chocolate Chai tea from T2 Teas...because chocolate and chai tea together = SOLD!
Chocolate-flavored Ceylon black tea is blended with cardamom, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon. The result is a tea that is soothing, spicy, zesty, and warming...and did I mention that there is chocolate combined with the chai?
I infuse the whole milk yogurt overnight with the chocolate chai tea, the cinnamon stick, and some local raw honey and in the morning have a delicately sweet spiced flavor combination that is just wonderful for breakfast.
To assemble, layer the yogurt in a glass or mason jar with some crunchy granola (why not make some homemade granola listed below), pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and a sprinkle of coconut flakes and you are in breakfast heaven.
You can always add some dark chocolate chips on top as well if you want some extra antioxidants.
Try one of these homemade granolas:
- Cardamom and Coconut Cashew Granola
- Pumpkin Spice Granola
- Bursting With Nuts Grain-Free Sugar-Free Granola
- Easy Coconut Oil Granola
Tips, Tricks, and Substitutions
The best thing about this breakfast parfait recipe is how versatile it is.
Feel free to make some additions depending on your and your family's preferences.
Why not try:
- fresh fruit such as chopped fresh strawberries
- fresh berries such as blueberries or fresh raspberries or frozen berries if fresh are not in season
- a drizzle of maple syrup in place of the honey
- a sprinkle of chia seeds
- creamy Greek yogurt or vanilla Greek yogurt in place of the plain yogurt
- add a dash of vanilla extract
- a dollop of peanut butter for some extra protein
- banana slices
- a sprinkle of graham crackers on the base to give an almost cheesecake-like feel to the yogurt parfait recipe
- a scoop of protein powder (I would probably stick with chocolate or vanilla protein powder to keep with the flavors of the parfait)
Prep a bunch of these little breakfast parfaits in mason jars and keep them stored in the fridge for a busy week ahead.
Frequently Asked Questions
However, I would add all of the toppings on top of the yogurt to prevent them from becoming too soggy after a couple of days.
I love hearing from you.
If you try this healthy breakfast parfait recipe then be sure to pop back and leave me a comment. Happy eating.
Chocolate Chai Yogurt Breakfast Parfait
- 1 cup whole milk kefir
- 1 teaspoon chai tea (I used Adagio Teas Chocolate Chai Tea)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups whole milk plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon local raw honey
- granola, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and coconut for serving
- Pour the kefir into a jar with a lid. Pop the looseleaf tea into an infuser and pop the infuser into the kefir, along with the cinnamon stick. Put the lid on an allow to infuse for at least 2 hours (I usually leave overnight)
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the kefir, yogurt and honey (do not use a blender as this will make the mixture too liquidly)
- To serve layer some granola, followed by the yogurt mixture, more granola, more yogurt and then top with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and coconut or toppings of your choice and enjoy
Chava Mazal says
This sounds really delicious! I've been looking for a quick morning meal that feels like a treat.
Definitely a breakfast treat 🙂