There was a time that I felt like I had taken the whole ‘crunchy mom’ thing a bit too far, and new granola recipes were popping up on the blog way too often. Then I had a look today, and it’s been ages since I added a new one. Let’s rectify that right now with this totally different Super Crunchy Cardamom and Cashew Granola.
After living at Nana’s house in Australia for a couple of months, my kids got way too used to the sweeter things in life, including cereal, which we rarely have at home. While there I was tempted to get up and prepare our usual oats/homemade granola/fruit platter for breakfast, but someone else offering to get up with my kids and let me have a sleep-in in the mornings was just way too much of a temptation to pass up. This pregnant mama just went with the cereal – damn the consequences.
Well the consequences have hit, and since returning home, the littles have been requesting cereal, and whipping out the groans every time I serve up a wholesome bowl of oats. So I am back into making huge batches of granola for the week. Not that I mind, I definitely love me some granola.
Cardamom and Cashew Granola has a totally different flavor to any granola I have had before. It is slightly spicy from the cardamom, slightly sweet from the maple syrup, lots of crunchy from the nuts and seeds and just totally delicious overall. It is a cold weather granola for sure! I pair mine with some chopped fruit (dried figs are my fav at the moment) and a thick strained yogurt. It keeps on the counter in an airtight container for about a week, but I usually make a double batch and freeze half in a ziploc bag. Just pull the bag out the night before you are going to want to gobble it all up, and you are set.
Super Crunchy Cardamom and Cashew Granola
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp ground cardamom
- 3 tbsp raw coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups uncooked rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup dried fruit of choice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250F and line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, cardamom, coconut oil, vanilla and salt.
- Add in the oats, almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds and coconut and stir until fully incorporated.
- Divide oat mixture between the two baking sheets. Use a spatula to spread into a thin, even layer
- Bake for an hour and 15 minutes, stirring every half hour or so. It will be ready when everything is toasted and carmelized.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the trays (it will get crispier as it waits). If you want to add in some dried fruit, then do so now.
- Store in an airtight container for about a week (two weeks is usually fine). Or divide into ziplock bags and freeze until the night before you are ready to use.