The Perfect Slow Cooker Ratatouille Recipe is easy to put together, jam packed full of seasonal vegetables cooked just right, and oh so comforting during those cold winter months.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
The Perfect Slow Cooker Ratatouille Recipe
Lately I have been seeing all these beautiful images of ratatouille with perfect spiralled vegetables, arranged just so.
They really do look like works of art with their little zucchini rosettes twirling around in a fancy dish.
As beautiful as they are, I'm sorry to say those dishes take just as long as a work of art to prepare, and I for one do not have the patience...well I would if I didn't have 3 littles vying for attention, food and whatever else they can get from me!
So i'm sorry to say but it ain't gonna happen.
The Cheat's Perfect Ratatouille
But I do have a cheat's version for you.
One that is:
- easy to put together,
- jam-packed full of seasonal vegetables cooked just right,
- and oh so comforting during those cold winter months.
It comes together in a cinch, and doesn't require hours of modelling vegetables into perfect little shapes you won't want to cut into after the cooking process has been completed.
You won't need any fancy ingredients either, just the following:
- russet potatoes
- sweet potato
- red bell peppers
- red onion
- green zucchini
- yellow squash
- marinara (try this fresh heirloom tomato sauce)
- parmigiano reggiano
- basil leaves
The Perfect Ratatouille Recipe Is Made In The Slow Cooker
I need to clarify here, I am not promising the finesse of a perfectly arranged French stunner.
However the flavors will be there, the house will smell amazing, and you get to multitask!
I am thinking ahead to the Holiday season when you have 6 batches of cookies waiting to go into the oven, a couple of pots on the stovetop, events to attend, and children all hyped up from the excitement of the whole thing.
In those situations, my friends', slow cookers and quick meals are total lifesavers!
Any Slow Cooker Recommendations?
If you happen to be in the market for a good slow cooker, I use and love this one, it is super cheap but gets the job done perfectly:
If you don't want too many gadgets in the kitchen you can always use the slow cook setting on your pressure cooker/instant pot instead. Most have them and they work very well! I have tried this particular recipe in my instant pot and a Philips multicooker and it turned out perfectly both times.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Looking for more slow cooker inspiration? Check out these popular recipes:
If you try out this Slow Cooker Ratatouille Recipe be sure to pop back and leave a comment to let me know how you went, I always love to hear from you! Happy Eating.
The Perfect Slow Cooker Ratatouille
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 red onion
- 1 large green zucchini
- 1 large yellow squash
- 3 cups marinara (for a homemade version see notes)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup parmigiano regiano
- ½ cup basil leaves, chiffonaded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice the potatoes, sweet potato, red bell peppers, and red onion into thin rounds (about ⅛ inch). Slice the zucchini and squash into slightly thicker rounds (about ½ inch).
- Pour one cup of the pasta sauce into the bottom of your slow cooker, then overlap the veggies in a circular pattern around the edges (i.e. potato, followed by sweet potato, followed by zucchini, bell peppers and onion, and repeat) until you’ve used them all.
- After each row add a dash of salt, pepper, and a bit of the minced garlic. Then layer more veg on top.
- Pour the rest of the sauce on top and set the slow cooker on high for 3 hours.
- To serve, garnish with some fresh basil and parmigiana region. Leftovers will keep for about 3 days in the fridge.
If you enjoyed this recipe then you might want to try these:
- Spiced Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple Cider
- Slow Cooker Savoury Black Beans
- 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Applesauce
- Asian Style Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3