So simple, and yet so flavorful, this Garlicky Orange Spinach Salad is a fantastic way to showcase all that the season has to offer. Sweet orange zest, fruit and flesh are combined with some earthy spinach and crunchy walnuts, with a punch of fresh garlic to give a flavor combination that wows.
Growing up in Ireland it seemed that the only fruit we ever ate on a regular basis was apples, oranges, and bananas, and then sometimes one of those cans of fruit cocktail with the fake cherries snuck in there to make it fancy.
Edited to add: I totally got into trouble with my mum after publishing this. Apparently, we had kiwi fruit too.
I distinctly remember that as a kid I hated getting oranges in my lunch box. There were a couple of reasons for this:
- you ended up with orange stained nails;
- if they weren't chopped up your hands and uniform would get super sticky;
- the pith!
Nowadays I love the things.
Why You Will Love Garlicky Orange Spinach Salad.
There are a number of reasons, including:
- garlic (LOTS of garlic);
- orange flesh, orange zest AND orange juice;
- yummy earthy toasted walnuts and crunchy carrots.
If you need more awesome seasonal salads to get you through winter then lookie here:
Garlicky Orange Spinach Salad
- 10 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, cooled and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 large oranges, roughly chopped
- 1 batch orange and thyme salad dressing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- Add the spinach, walnuts, carrots and chopped oranges to a large bowl. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve the salad, add the garlic to the orange and thyme salad dressing and give it a good shake. Add to the salad and toss to combine.
- Serve right away or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Need more recipes using oranges? Check out these lovelies from around the web:
- Mandarin Orange Salsa from Mom Foodie;
- Orange Honey Butter from Know Your Produce;
- Blood Orange and Thyme Spa Water from Mom Foodie.