So simple, and yet so flavorful, this Garlicky Orange Spinach Salad is a fantastic way to showcase all that the season has to offer. Sweet orange zest, fruit and flesh are combined with some earthy spinach and crunchy walnuts, with a punch of fresh garlic to give a flavor combination that wows.
Garlicky Orange Spinach Salad
Growing up in Ireland it seemed that the only fruit we ever ate on a regular basis was apples, oranges, and bananas.
If we were being really fancy it would be one of those cans of fruit cocktail with the fake cherries snuck in there.
Edited to add: I totally got into trouble with my mum after publishing this. Apparently, we had kiwi fruit too.
I distinctly remember that as a kid I hated getting oranges in my lunch box. There were a couple of reasons for this:
- you ended up with orange stained nails;
- if they weren't chopped up your hands and uniform would get super sticky;
- the pith!
Nowadays I love the things and add them to salads whenever given the opportunity, as they add so much colour and flavour.
Why You Need To Add Orange Spinach Salad To Your Salad Rotation
There are a number of reasons you are going to love this spinach salad loaded with oranges and walnuts, including:
- it is super easy to bring together, and makes great use of fresh produce available in winter;
- garlic (LOTS of garlic);
- orange flesh, orange zest AND orange juice;
- walnuts add a great bit of crunch to the salad while making it a more substantial meal;
- yummy earthy toasted walnuts and crunchy carrots.
These ingredients all combine to give you one hey of a flavour party going on.
Can Orange Spinach Salad Be Made Ahead Of Time?
Whilst I wouldn't recommend completely making the salad ahead of time, as the juice from the oranges will result in limp baby spinach if left sitting for two long, the individual elements can certainly be prepped ahead of time, ready for a quick assembly when it is time to serve.
This salad should be eaten when served, and you should try for no leftovers, as the leaves will become soggy.
Need More Salad Recipes?
If you love eating interesting salads that are a little bit different from the norm, then you should check these out:
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Apple Salad with Miso Dressing
- Zesty Heirloom Tomato and Nectarine Salad
- Warm Winter Vegetable Salad
- Moroccan Cauliflower and Pumpkin Couscous Salad
- Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe with Passion Fruit Vinaigrette
Garlicky Orange Spinach Salad
- 10 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, cooled and roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrots
- 2 large oranges, roughly chopped
- 1 batch orange and thyme salad dressing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- Add the spinach, walnuts, carrots and chopped oranges to a large bowl. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve the salad, add the garlic to the orange and thyme salad dressing and give it a good shake. Add to the salad and toss to combine.
- Serve right away or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was updated from the original Jan 2018 post to include more information for the reader.
Need more recipes using oranges? Check out these lovelies from around the web: