Healthy rice bubble bars are a great little treat to get you through the afternoon slump. No guilt attached, and no need to hide in the cupboard so the kids can't see what you're eating.
We don't really do cereal in our house. If you have been hanging around Whole Food Bellies for any amount of time you may have noticed my slight obsession with homemade granola. But lately, with the new baby and everything, the homemade stuff isn't as regular, and we have bought some emergency supplies of cereal for those mornings when we actually have to leave the house at a reasonable time.
One of the cereals I tried out was some brown rice bubbles. The kids were NOT impressed (and if I'm honest, neither was I)! I hate seeing good food go to waste so we had to figure out a way to use up a whole box of bubbles, and these healthy rice bubble bars are what got the tick of approval.
Of course I could have just put them in a batch of homemade granola....but logic did not prevail, and nursing makes me crave chocolate in unseemly amounts.
Did you make something like this when you were a kid? We used to make them ALL the time, in fact, it's the only thing I really remember 'baking' as a kid. It was the go-to treat my mum would send in for a bake sale, and what I would always spend my money on there 🙂 This version is healthier in that it combines unsweetened cocoa with coconut oil for the chocolate, and it is naturally sweetened with maple syrup. But never fear, they are still delicious, and my little chocolate fiends were suitably impressed.
I hope you love this quick and easy healthy rice bubbles bar recipe as much as we did. It is basically a homemade crunch bar combined with chocolate rice bubbles....delicious. I always love to hear from you, so if you try them out be sure to leave a comment. Happy eating.
Healthy Rice Bubble Bars
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 5 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup brown rice bubbles
- pinch of salt
- Line a 9x5 pan with parchment paper or cling wrap
- In a large bowl combine the cocoa powder, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract and a pinch of salt
- Add in the brown rice bubbles and mix well to combine
- Pour in the rice mixture and use a spatula to level it out so that it is relatively smooth on top
- Pop into the freezer for 15 minutes until completely set. Once set remove from the freezer and use a sharp knife to cut into squares for serving. Store in the freezer, as the coconut oil will melt