If you have a peach tree, or access to reasonably priced peaches (hit up the farmers market), then chances are you are going to
want NEED to know how to peel a peach. Make it quick and easy with this simple tutorial on the best way to peel a peach, and get a big batch done in no time.
This recipe has been updated from the original August 2015 version in order to provide a better experience for our readers.
This recipe is a bit of a doozy, but this method for how to peel a peach has totally changed my life so I just had to share with you. I recently had 200 peaches ripen on my tree within 3 days, so I had to preserve as many as possible in as little time as possible, before the squirrels chewed them all up.
This my friends meant that I spent an entire afternoon peeling 200 peaches…Not the most fun you can have with a blunt stick, but setting up a little production line, and getting the littles involved, made it so much quicker (note: I lie – the toddler definitely did not make it quicker).
Just in case you too have to peel 200 peaches I thought it only nice to share this quick and easy method with you to make the whole process as stress free as can be.
Here We Go: How to Peel A Peach
- Using a sharp knife, score the bottom of your peaches with an X;
Add the scored peaches to rapidly boiling water for about 45 seconds;
Using a slotted spoon, remove the peaches from the boiling water and pop them into a little ice bath (a large bowl filled with water and ice);
Once cool, remove the peaches from the ice bath with a slotted spoon and peel. The skin should just come right away
Why Will I Need to Peel a Peach?
A lot of recipes will call for peeled peaches to give you a smoother result. Also, if you want to can your peaches or you want a nice smooth peach butter, then a peeled peach is going to be key.
Sometimes peaches can have a bitter skin, or be super fuzzy, in which case you are going to want to enjoy them naked. Our peaches are homegrown and have a pretty thick, chewy skin, which I just don’t enjoy, so I find it better to just peel them and enjoy the yumminess inside.
What Do I Do With My Freshly Peeled Peaches?
- Make some Peach Butter;
- Enjoy this No Churn Vegan Peach Ice Cream;
- Whip up some Fresh Peach and Honey Lemonade.
Make sure to pin this hack in case you ever need to peel a peach or a huge amount of peaches 🙂
How to Perfectly Peel a Peach
- Saucepan of boiling water
- Add water to a large saucepan and bring to a rapid boil
- Using a sharp knife score the bottom of your peaches with an X
- Add the scored peaches to rapidly boiling water for about 45 seconds
- Remove from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and pop them into a little ice bath (a large bowl filled with water and ice)
- Remove them from the ice bath with a slotted spoon and peel - the skin should just come right away