You are going to love these little mini cacao and spinach muffins. Naturally sweetened with apple sauce (for a homemade recipe click here) and containing an ENTIRE bag of spinach the kids won't even notice, they are the perfect little treat to have stored in the freezer for a busy week.
Have you ever gone to Costco and bought one of those mega bags of spinach, only to get home and realize there is not way you are fitting that thing into your now overfull fridge? Yes? Everyone does it? Glad to hear it's not just me.
So I have a tip: blend that stuff up. If you have a high speed blender, just fill that thing up with spinach and then freeze in muffin tins. I use some silicone cupcake liners to save in 1/4 cup capacities. Once frozen, remove from liners, transfer to a ziplock bag and pop back in the freezer. You then have some handy little cubes of frozen spinach which are great for smoothies or defrosting and using in cooking and/or baking (like in these spinach muffins). Handy, right?
I hope you guys love these quick, easy and nutritious healthy spinach muffins. I love to hear from you so pop back and leave a comment and let me know what you think. Happy eating.
Kid Approved Cacao and Spinach Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350F and spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray (I use fractionated coconut oil)
- In a large bowl, combine the pureed spinach, vanilla, eggs, coconut oil and applesauce
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, coconut sugar, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well until a batter forms
- Pour the batter into the muffin tin so that each one is about 2/3 full
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before removing from the muffin tin and serving
- Store in an airtight container or freeze for later