Studded with sticky dates and rolled oats, these Oatmeal Sweet Potato Banana and Date Muffins are the perfect addition to lunch boxes, as a snack when you are on the go, or served alongside a cup of tea for a delightful afternoon break.
Well my dears, back to school time is here already. Can you believe it? Where has the summer gone? We have a SUPER busy couple of months coming up with school, soccer practice two nights a week for two kids on different nights and at different parks...what was I thinking? It's not all doom and gloom, we still haven't had our summer vacation yet, that starts next week, and I am so excited. To the beach I go.
During the school year (well all year really, who am I kidding?) I like to have some kind of muffin in the fridge, that we can grab on the way out the door when it gets busy. Check these out for some more muffin inspiration:
- Kid Approved Cacao and Spinach Muffins;
- Brown Butter Apple Spice Muffins;
- Freezer Friendly Apple Vanilla and Blueberry Mini Muffins
Btw, if you are looking for a great lunch box for your littles, this is what I use for my preschooler and kindergartener. I get a couple and you can switch up the inside container, they love guessing what color they are going to get that day.
And now I have these Oatmeal Sweet Potato Banana and Date Muffins to add to the collection. My kids are absolutely obsessed with dates, so they were super excited to get their hands on these babies. And the dates are so sweet themselves, that when combined with the ripe bananas you really don't need any other sweetener, which is a huge plus in my books. Throw in some chopped walnuts for texture, and you have one yummy snack on hand.
These Banana and Date Muffins are the perfect addition to lunch boxes, as a snack when you are on the go, or served alongside a cup of tea for a delightful afternoon break. Happy eating.
Oatmeal Sweet Potato Banana and Date Muffins
- 1 cup whole grain wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup sweet potato puree (roughly 1 large roasted sweet potato)
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup almond milk unsweetened
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375F (180C) and lightly grease a 12 muffin tin with melted coconut oil
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Add the oats and give it a stir to combine
- Pop the bananas, sweet potato puree, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and milk into a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Using as few strokes as possible, stir to combine. Fold in the chopped dates and nuts.
- Drop roughly 2 heaping tbsp of the batter into each muffin cup and bake until they are golden, around 30 mins. Check with a toothpick before removing from the oven.
- Storage: store leftover muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for around 5 days. They also freeze well for about a month.