Aaaaand we're back....Things have been a little quiet around here lately as we have a new little addition to the Whole Food Bellies family (finally, I was really starting to feel like that damn giraffe that's all over Facebook, the poor dear). But we are back to a semi-normal life again (if semi normal includes cooking, taking photos and typing with a small child strapped to your chest - which it definitely does around here 😛 ) with a semi-consistent schedule! What better way to mark the occassion than with this seriously delicious and super easy One Pot Tortellini and Creamy Garlic Soup.
I have a freezer full of this garlic soup goodness, as it was one of those quick and easy meals I made in huge amounts in a last ditch effort to be prepared for our new life. Gosh am I glad I did!! Three kids under five is no joke, and I still have my mum here for backup!! Next week reality is going to kick in when mum flies back to Australia, and I can already tell freezer meals are going to be a lifeline on those hard days 😛 But we are certainly up for the challenge (and we certainly have a freezer full of meals...I may need a second one).
So tortellini and creamy garlic soup....one pot, no fancy ingredients but looks fancy and tastes amazing. Plus did I mention you can make it up and pop it in the freezer for a rainy day? Yep it sure is a handy little recipe to have on hand. The tortellini makes it nice and filling, but the sauce is relatively light and balances the whole dish out just perfectly. I am hooked.
Do you have any go-to freezer meals I should know about? I plan on getting one more afternoon of big-batch freezer-friendly cooking done before mum heads off, and feeding ALL the hungry mouths becomes my job again, so I am very open to suggestions 🙂
I love to hear from you, so be sure to pop back and let me know if you try out this creamy garlic tortellini soup! Happy eating.
Tortellini and Creamy Garlic Soup
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (to see how to make your own see notes)
- 2 14.5oz cans diced tomatoes (preferably organic)
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp each fresh oregano, thyme, parsley and basil
- 9 oz fresh tortellini
- 2 cups kale, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, chick peas, whole milk, parmesan cheese, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer.
- Pop in the tortellini and kale. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve.