Simple and delicious, this Rainbow Brown Rice and Sesame Vegetable Bowl is easily adaptable to whatever you have on hand and is so so satisfying! This is a great way to use up leftover rice and makes for a great portable lunch option.
Edit: This recipe just got some shiny new photos and a bit of an update so I decided to republish.
We have just gotten back from a week in Colorado visiting family. It is such a beautiful place. If you haven't been, you should totally try to get there one day!
Anyway, we rented a big condo, so we could make it all reunioney and stay together. Years ago this would seriously have been my worst nightmare, but it was actually so much fun, and the cousins kept my toddler entertained for hours, so as if I am going to complain!
We went with this option so that we could have a kitchen and do some cooking; instead of eating out every night. Major fail, as we still ate out pretty much every night....what's that they say about the best laid plans? Between everyone skiing or snowboarding all day (everyone else but me that is) or being stuck indoors entertaining a cranky, teething infant and an energetic toddler (me)....no one was in the mood for cooking for ten people.
So it has been written off as a cheat week. And I, for one, am totally happy with a cheat week every now and then. It has, however, definitely left me craving home cooked food and lots and lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. So that is what we have been eating since we got back.
This Rainbow Brown Rice and Sesame Vegetable Bowl is great as you can basically throw in whatever fresh veggies you have on hand. I used a mixture of shredded carrot, cucumber, thinly sliced lettuce, red onion, chopped tomatoes and lots of fresh avocado on top. I bet it would work great with some fresh mushrooms, zucchini and fresh colourful capsicum (bell peppers) as well.
You do you. Think of this recipe as a rough guideline and just use whatever takes your fancy...or, whatever you happen to have in the fridge. I topped mine with some crispy baked asian tofu which worked brilliantly but is totally optional, and the vegetable bowl works just as well without it.
Need some more yummy recipes you can serve up in a bowl? Look no further because these options are easy and delicious:
- Spicy Chipotle Tofu Burrito Bowl
- Roasted Winter Vegetable Quinoa Bowl with Basil Hummus Dressing
- Baked Almond Crunch Falafel Bowl with Two Second Dressing
Rainbow Brown Rice and Sesame Vegetable Bowl
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp Sriracha or Asian chili paste
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 large cucumber chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes chopped
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots grated
- ½ romaine lettuce thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado cut into slices
- 3 green onions chopped
- Toasted sesame seeds to taste
- Mix the sauce ingredients together (sesame oil, tamari, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger, water and sriracha) and set aside
- Place cooked brown rice into a bowl, add the sauce and mix well
- Add the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, carrots and lettuce to the rice mixture and mix well
- Serve up and top with sliced avocado, green onions and sesame seeds
- Add salt and pepper to taste