I have been getting really good at emptying out my fridge at the end of every week to make room for my new lovelies picked up from the farmer’s market on Sunday. And emptying of said fridge is exactly how this roasted winter vegetable quinoa bowl came about.
This post may contain affiliate links. Whole Food Bellies may receive a small amount of compensation if goods are purchased through these links. To read the full disclosure policy, please see the privacy page here.
This is a great recipe to make your own, depending on what stragglers you have left in the ice-box at the end of the week. I used a selection of sweet potato, beetroot, brussels sprouts and broccoli, but I can totally see some cauliflower or carrots being right at home in here.
Unfortunately we had no carrots left, as my 3 year old has decided they are the best thing ever, and eats them like they are going out of fashion. There are definitely worse problems to have.
Is there anything better than a big tray of roasted veggies? I think not! Pair them in this quinoa bowl with a quick and easy basil pesto hummus dressing, and you are raring to go with a delicious and nutritious bowl that really takes no effort at all to put together. I top mine with some crunchy chopped walnuts, a sprinkle of hemp seeds, some chopped shallots and a beautifully poached egg, which gives you the perfect protein enriched bowl. Change it up and serve with some baked tofu or some strips of stir fried chicken or beef if eggs aren’t your thing.
Like I said, this quinoa bowl is just begging to be made into your own creation. Play around, have some fun and delve in.
For some other dinner in a bowl ideas, check out these recipes:
Hope you love it! Leave a comment and let me know how you went, or be sure to share to Facebook or Pinterest. Happy eating 🙂
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa cooked according to package instructions
- Juice of half a large lemon
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 head of beetroot peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 cup brussels sprouts de-stemmed and halved
- 1 medium head broccoli chopped into florets
- 1/4 head of cabbage cut into thick strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil or cooking oil of choice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup hummus homemade or store bought
- 1/2 cup basil pesto home-made or store bought
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts to serve
- 1/4 cup finely chopped spring onions to serve
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds to serve
- 4 poached eggs to serve
- Prepare quinoa according to package instructions. Once cooked, fluff with a fork, add in the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Pop the chopped sweet potato, beetroot, brussels sprouts and broccoli into a roasting tin. Add olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Ensure all veggies are coated
- Roast all vegetables except for the cabbage for 35 mins. Pop the cabbage onto the tray when there is only 20 minutes cooking time left
- While the vegetables are roasting combine the hummus, pesto and 1tbsp olive oil. Whisk to combine
- To serve: add a layer of quinoa, topped with roasted vegetables, a sprinkle of chopped spring onions, a sprinkle of chopped walnuts and a poached egg. Drizzle over the basil hummus, a sprinkle of hemp seeds and serve
To make things extra quick in the kitchen, I have been using an Instant Pot for cooking grains etc. I have no affiliation with the brand, I just really love how quick the device makes everything!