I have been getting really good at emptying out my fridge at the end of every week to make room for my new lovelies picked up from the farmer’s market on Sunday. And emptying of the said fridge is exactly how this Quinoa Veggie Bowl came about.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Quinoa Veggie Bowl with Basil Hummus Dressing
This is a great recipe to make your own, depending on what stragglers you have left in the ice-box at the end of the week.
I used a selection of:
- sweet potato,
- brussels sprouts
- and broccoli.
But I can totally see some cauliflower or carrots being right at home in here.
Unfortunately, we had no carrots left, as my 3-year-old has decided they are the best thing ever, and eats them like they are going out of fashion.
There are definitely worse problems to have.
What Is Needed For This Quinoa Veggie Bowl?
Is there anything better than a big tray of roasted veggies?
I think not!
Pair them in this quinoa bowl with a quick and easy basil pesto hummus dressing, and you are raring to go with a delicious and nutritious bowl that really takes no effort at all to put together.
I top mine with some:
- crunchy chopped walnuts,
- a sprinkle of hemp seeds,
- some chopped shallots,
- and a beautifully poached egg, which gives you the perfect protein-enriched bowl.
Change it up and serve with some baked tofu or some strips of stir-fried chicken or beef if eggs aren’t your thing. Or just serve as is.
Like I said, this quinoa veggie bowl is just begging to be made into your own creation using whatever you have on hand.
Play around, have some fun and delve in.
For some other dinner in bowl ideas, check out these recipes:
Quick Tip On Making Quinoa Extra Quick
To make things extra quick in the kitchen, I have been using an Instant Pot for cooking grains etc. I have no affiliation with the brand, I just really love how quick the device makes everything!
Hope you love it!
Happy eating 🙂
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa cooked according to package instructions
- Juice of half a large lemon
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 head of beetroot peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 cup brussels sprouts de-stemmed and halved
- 1 medium head broccoli chopped into florets
- 1/4 head of cabbage cut into thick strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil or cooking oil of choice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup hummus homemade or store bought
- 1/2 cup basil pesto home-made or store bought
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts to serve
- 1/4 cup finely chopped spring onions to serve
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds to serve
- 4 poached eggs to serve
- Prepare quinoa according to package instructions. Once cooked, fluff with a fork, add in the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Pop the chopped sweet potato, beetroot, brussels sprouts and broccoli into a roasting tin. Add olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Ensure all veggies are coated
- Roast all vegetables except for the cabbage for 35 mins. Pop the cabbage onto the tray when there is only 20 minutes cooking time left
- While the vegetables are roasting combine the hummus, pesto and 1tbsp olive oil. Whisk to combine
- To serve: add a layer of quinoa, topped with roasted vegetables, a sprinkle of chopped spring onions, a sprinkle of chopped walnuts and a poached egg. Drizzle over the basil hummus, a sprinkle of hemp seeds and serve
If you enjoyed this recipe then you might want to try these:
- Change it up and use some Riced Broccoli instead of the quinoa
- Maple Glazed Sauteed Green Beans and Carrots with Prosciutto and Walnuts
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Winter Farro Salad with Feta and Citrus Vinaigrette
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3