Be more intentional about what you put into your body first thing in the morning with this cumin-spiced farro breakfast bowl recipe which will keep all cylinders firing until lunch. A combination of nutty farro, smokey spices, a perfectly gooey egg, creamy avocado, and wilted spinach will have you jumping out of bed excited to start the day.
This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust.
Cumin Spiced Farro Breakfast Bowl Recipe
I have been trying to be more intentional with my breakfast situation lately.
It can be so easy to get stuck in the toast and butter with a cup of coffee routine...but it gets so boring and uninspiring.
Plus I always feel so much better if I fill my belly up with all the good things first thing in the morning.
How To Serve Up This Farro Breakfast Bowl
That's where this farro breakfast bowl recipe comes into play. It is quick and easy to put together, and you can even meal prep the farro on the weekend to make the whole process so much quicker. Top the spiced farro with some:
- wilted spinach,
- perfectly gooey soft-boiled egg,
- and a sprinkle of everything but the bagel seasoning blend, my newest obsession and something I am quite possibly sprinkling on absolutely everything these days (yes I brought some home to Australia in my suitcase!).
You get the perfect combination of nutty, earthy, sweet and creamy and it is so filling it will keep you going well into lunchtime.
Make This Breakfast Bowl Recipe Even Easier With The Instant Pot.
I find this comes together with a lot less babysitting time if I use my Instant Pot to cook the farro and the eggs. Cook the farro on manual for 12 minutes, quick release and then while you are toasting the farro in the spice blend you can pop the eggs onto steam for 3 minutes to achieve the most perfect gooey eggs.
Don't have an Instant Pot? No worries, I have included stove top directions as well (see recipe card below). Or you can alwatys jump on the bandwagon and grab one right now. I use this one:
More Breakfast Bowl Recipes Just For You.
I am a big fan of a good breakfast bowl to get the day started. Check out these others:
What is your favorite thing to add to a breakfast bowl?
Cumin Spiced Farro Breakfast Bowl Recipe
Instant Pot Cooking Instructions for Farro and Eggs
- Put the farro along with one cup of water to the instant pot. Pop on the lid and seal the valve. Set to manual mode for 12 minutes. Quick pressure release once complete. Once pressure has been released, remove the farro from the pot and set aside.
- Put one cup of water into the bottom of the pot. Add the trivet and 4 eggs on top of the trivet. Set to steam for 3 minutes. Quick pressure release once complete and immediately place the eggs in a bowl if cold water to halt cooking.
Stove Top Cooking Instructions for Farro and Eggs
- Bring a large saucepan filled water to a boil. Add farro; reduce heat to medium and simmer 20 minutes or until slightly chewy. Drain.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add cold eggs; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 6 minutes. Place eggs in a bowl of ice water; let stand 6 minutes or until completely cool. Drain and peel.
Prepare the Rest of the Bowl
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium. Add the cumin and paprika and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the cooked farro to the spice mixture and cook until heated through. Remove and serve into 2 bowls. Keep the heat going in the skillet, throw in the spinach and cook until just wilted.
- Add the spinach to the bowls along with the eggs (carefully cut in half), half an avocado and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Top with a generous dollop of Greek yogurt and serve. I also like to add a sprinkle of Everything But The Bagel seasoning.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
If you enjoyed this recipe then you might want to try these other bowls of soupy goodness:
- Warm Winter Vegetable Salad
- Winter Farro Salad with Feta and Citrus Vinaigrette
- Garlic Hasselback Potatoes and Root Vegetables
Be sure to join me over on Instagram for some tips, tricks, and behind the scenes.