Be more intentional about what you put into your body first thing in the morning with this cumin-spiced farro breakfast bowl recipe which will keep all cylinders firing until lunch. A combination of nutty farro, smokey spices, a perfectly gooey egg, creamy avocado, and wilted spinach will have you jumping out of bed excited to start the day.
This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust.
Cumin Spiced Farro Breakfast Bowl Recipe
I have been trying to be more intentional with my breakfast situation lately.
It can be so easy to get stuck in the toast and butter with a cup of coffee routine...but it gets so boring and uninspiring.
Plus I always feel so much better if I fill my belly up with all the good things first thing in the morning.
How To Serve Up This Farro Breakfast Bowl
That's where this farro breakfast bowl recipe comes into play. It is quick and easy to put together, and you can even meal prep the farro on the weekend to make the whole process so much quicker. Top the spiced farro with some:
- wilted spinach,
- perfectly gooey soft-boiled egg,
- and a sprinkle of everything but the bagel seasoning blend, my newest obsession and something I am quite possibly sprinkling on absolutely everything these days (yes I brought some home to Australia in my suitcase!).
You get the perfect combination of nutty, earthy, sweet and creamy and it is so filling it will keep you going well into lunchtime.
Make This Breakfast Bowl Recipe Even Easier With The Instant Pot.
I find this comes together with a lot less babysitting time if I use my Instant Pot to cook the farro and the eggs. Cook the farro on manual for 12 minutes, quick release and then while you are toasting the farro in the spice blend you can pop the eggs onto steam for 3 minutes to achieve the most perfect gooey eggs.
Don't have an Instant Pot? No worries, I have included stove top directions as well (see recipe card below). Or you can alwatys jump on the bandwagon and grab one right now. I use this one:
More Breakfast Bowl Recipes Just For You.
I am a big fan of a good breakfast bowl to get the day started. Check out these others:
Roasted Winter Vegetable Quinoa Salad
Chocolate covered strawberry quinoa breakfast
Creamy Barley Porridge with Smoked Salmon
What is your favorite thing to add to a breakfast bowl?
Cumin Spiced Farro Breakfast Bowl Recipe
- ¾ cup uncooked farro
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 medium sized avocado halved, pitted and sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoon whole milk Greek Yogurt
Instant Pot Cooking Instructions for Farro and Eggs
- Put the farro along with one cup of water to the instant pot. Pop on the lid and seal the valve. Set to manual mode for 12 minutes. Quick pressure release once complete. Once pressure has been released, remove the farro from the pot and set aside.
- Put one cup of water into the bottom of the pot. Add the trivet and 4 eggs on top of the trivet. Set to steam for 3 minutes. Quick pressure release once complete and immediately place the eggs in a bowl if cold water to halt cooking.
Stove Top Cooking Instructions for Farro and Eggs
- Bring a large saucepan filled water to a boil. Add farro; reduce heat to medium and simmer 20 minutes or until slightly chewy. Drain.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add cold eggs; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 6 minutes. Place eggs in a bowl of ice water; let stand 6 minutes or until completely cool. Drain and peel.
Prepare the Rest of the Bowl
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium. Add the cumin and paprika and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the cooked farro to the spice mixture and cook until heated through. Remove and serve into 2 bowls. Keep the heat going in the skillet, throw in the spinach and cook until just wilted.
- Add the spinach to the bowls along with the eggs (carefully cut in half), half an avocado and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Top with a generous dollop of Greek yogurt and serve. I also like to add a sprinkle of Everything But The Bagel seasoning.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Don’t forget to follow Whole Food Bellies on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration! Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post! Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!
This looks so appetizing but I can only picture it for brunch since it looks so hearty! Farro is a winner for nutrition so great to have any meal of the day!
It is pretty hearty, I usually don't eat breakfast until around 10am so I guess that is more of a brunch time anyway 🙂
Marisa Franca says
Forget breakfast!! I want this for lunch or dinner. What a satisfying combination. I love my eggs and farro is a staple in our house. It is so simple to make and oh, did I say this would be great for brunch!!?? I'm making this just as soon as I can!
You are right, it makes the best brunch! Farro is fast becoming a staple around here too, so versatile!
I have to be honest that I have only ever eaten Farro in restaurants. Never cooked it myself. No clue why especially because it's so simple and easy. I have an instant pot. I must try this method and make this at home.
Oh I was right there with you until about a year ago, I always put it in the too hard basket and it always seemed like it took too long to cook. It wasn't until I started using an electric pressure cooker that it became a staple.
Cheese Curd In Paradise says
I am an everything bagel seasoning lover as well. This is a hearty and perfect breakfast. Anytime I get a seasoned grain, eggs, and avocado and am a happy lady!
It's the best isn't it! I brought two of the costco sized containers back to Aus with me from the US 🙂
This is my kind of breakfast. I love all the ingredients. I am so glad that you shared Instant Pot instructions.
Anything that makes prep quicker around here gets a huge thumbs up in my book!
This beautiful breakfast bowl looks so enchanting and delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing recipe. I can hardly wait to give it a try!
🙂 Thanks Denay!