Sweet Potato and Kale Gnocchi with Browned Butter Sauce is the perfect comfort food for a rainy night. Involve the kids in rolling the gnocchi and they will happily eat their greens.
Gnocchi, for me, is the ultimate comfort food. Not just in the eating of it, but in the whole process of making it. It is very satisfying work; work which I can't do nearly as much these days with two little ones running around. Otherwise they end up with mashed potato and flour all over them. Fun at the time, not so much for mum afterwards.
Last week, however, I had a craving and it just had to be satisfied. I was lucky enough that the littlest one was napping so I set the toddler to work rolling out the dough. Messy but fun. We ended up with some odd looking gnocchi bites but who cares about appearance these days? Looking at myself in the mirror after a day of kid wrangling I would have to say definitely not me.
When we started cooking I realised we only had one potato and no gorgonzola (my two usual must haves for quick and decent gnocchi). So we were forced to get creative and thats how we ended up with a gnocchi with browned butter. And do you know what? I am so glad. These little gems turned out great and my little one and her dad ate their kale without any need for coercion (huge plus). I have been trying so hard not to go down the 'veggie smuggling' path with my kids, but sometimes you just can't be bothered, and I really didn't have to say one word with this meal.
I even got a 'deee-licious' (in the voice of daddy pig....Peppa anyone?) from the toddler which was oddly satisfying. Especially considering her favourite food at the moment is peanut butter and cream cheese together on toast which is a far cry from Gnocchi with Browned Butter Sauce. I think I may need a new chief food tester.....
Sweet Potato and Kale Gnocchi with Browned Butter Sauce are really filling, so they go a long way and you can really make them look fancy if you have some people coming over for dinner. I made a quick garlic and burnt butter sauce to pour over the top and they went from good to amazing! Top with some shaved pecorino and fresh chives and you are good to go.
Sweet Potato and Kale Gnocchi with Burnt Butter Sauce
- 1 lb potatoes I used one desiree and two sweet potatoes
- 4 oz kale (weight after any stems have been removed)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino
- 1/2 cup good quality butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Fresh chives and shaved pecorino to serve
- Peel and boil the potatoes until tender. Drain, keeping the water
- Place kale in a bowl, pour over the water from the potatoes and leave for a couple minutes to wilt
- Drain the kale and use a dish cloth to remove as much water as possible
- Finely chop the kale and add to the potatoes. Mash both together
- Gently mix in three-quarters of the flour, egg, salt and pecorino and work it into a smooth mound. Stop adding the flour when it is slightly sticky but firm.
- Flour your bench and take a quarter of the potato mixture and roll it into a sausage shape. Cut the desired sized gnocchi from the mixture
- Just before cooking the gnocchi combine the butter and garlic in a medium saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until butter is lightly browned, stirring occasionally and skimming foam as necessary. Add pepper to taste and remove from heat
- Cook the gnocchi in a large pot of salted water. When the gnocchi has risen to the surface remove with a strainer and place into an oiled bowl
- Drizzle browned butter sauce over the gnocchi, add a sprinkling of shaved pecorino and some freshly snipped chives
If you have a potato ricer use this to mash the potatoes as it will make the gnocchi even lighter. I didnt use one though and they were still great.