This quick and easy cauliflower curry recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight. Made in the instant pot so there will be fewer dishes, and the meal will come together in no time. Using pantry staples means this is a recipe that will make it onto your regular meal rotation in no time.
vegan. gluten-free. dairy-free. freezer friendly.
We just love a quick and easy meal made in the instant pot. Another favorite in the whole food bellies house is this Instant Pot Taco Soup (Vegetarian).
Although it may look like a long list, this cauliflower curry recipe really is very simple.
You will need:
- extra virgin olive oil: or any other cooking oil of choice. I have used coconut oil and avocado oil interchangeably, and they work fine. Please note that using coconut oil may add more of a coconut flavor to the meal;
- onion: I use a brown onion for this recipe;
- garlic: fresh is best, however sub in some garlic powder or prepared garlic if that is what you have;
- ginger: fresh is best, however sub in some ginger powder or prepared ginger if that is what you have;
- head of cauliflower: we use a large head of cauliflower here;
- full fat coconut milk: you can use low-fat if prefered, however it makes the curry less thick and creamy;
- a can of diced tomato: be sure to check the ingredients, we want plain diced tomatoes, not flavored. You can also sub in a similar amount of fresh diced tomatoes;
- garam masala: this can be found in the spice section of well-stocked grocery stores, alternatively, you should be able to find it in the Indian section of an international grocery store;
- yellow curry powder: can be found in the spice section;
- sriracha sauce: we only add 1 teaspoon for this recipe, which works perfectly as a 'family-friendly' mean. Feel free to add more if you love it spicy;
- turmeric powder: this can also be found in the spice section. Feel free to sub in freshly grated turmeric if you have it on hand;
- lime juice: fresh is best, however sub in prepared lime juice if that is what you have;
- lime zest: don't skip this, it adds a real pop of flavor to the dish;
- salt and black pepper;
- fresh cilantro: technically you can sub in some dried cilantro, but the flavor just won't be there, fresh is best. If you don't like cilantro then go ahead and leave it out, but you will be missing a lot of the flavor of the dish.
You may also want to have some cooked white rice or brown rice, lime wedges, and extra cilantro for serving.
Sliced red chilies go well also if you can handle the heat.
This cauliflower curry recipe is super easy to make.
We are going to start by using the sauté function in the instant pot to sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger until fragrant, and the onion is translucent.
This extra step of a light sauté prior to cooking, adds so much more flavor to this dish, and should not be missed.
Don't skip on sautéeing the ginger, garlic and onion or you will lose a lot of flavor from the dish.
Once this is done, simply add the rest of the ingredients, give everything a good stir, pop the lid on and cook for 5 minutes.
Please note: it will take roughly 20 minutes for the pressure cooker to come to pressure, so factor that into your planning time.
Release pressure immediately once cooking has finished.
Tips Tricks and Substitutions
Have all of your ingredients prepped and ready to go before starting to cook this cauliflower curry recipe.
This will make the whole process seamless.
If you want to add more feel free to sub out some of the cauliflower for another veggie that cooks at a similar time in the instant pot.
I am thinking of butternut squash, broccoli, or potatoes.
You could also add a handful of baby spinach once the cooking time has finished and the curry is cooked.
If you have a favorite Indian spice blend or curry blend that you would prefer to use then go on ahead and replace the garam masala and curry powder with that.
If you would like to add some protein to your cauliflower curry, then I would recommend adding some red lentils and a little bit more liquid so the curry doesn't become too dry.
Add the lentils to the pot at the same time as you add the cauliflower.
How To Serve
When it comes to serving, this cauliflower curry recipe is pretty versatile.
I like to serve mine up with some steamed jasmine rice, a sprinkle of cilantro, some lime slices, and a couple of sliced red chilies.
Here are some other ideas for serving:
- with some naan bread;
- with a dollop of yogurt or plant-based yogurt on top;
- with some extra hot sauce, cayenne or sliced chillies to make it extra hot;
- for a low carb option you could serve the curry up in some lettuce leaves;
- add a handful of baby spinach and stir through before serving for some extra greens.
Packs well for lunch the next day too which is always an added bonus.
Storing, Freezing and Meal Prepping
Store cooked cauliflower curry in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
This can also be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Allow thawing overnight before reheating to prevent the cauliflower from becoming soggy.
Meal Prep Freezer Tip: If you have some cauliflower that you need to use up, you can add all of the uncooked ingredients to a freezer-safe bag and freeze. When it comes time to use it, simply add everything to the instant pot, along with a cup of water, and cook for 5 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
No need to adjust the cooking time.
Simply chop all of the ingredients and store them in a container until you are ready to cook them.
Uncooked ingredients can also be frozen in a freezer-safe bag, and poured (still frozen) into the instant pot when needed.
In this instance, we will not be sautéeing the onions, garlic, and ginger, so some of that flavor will be missing.
Follow the instructions as listed and cook in the slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours.
To make this on the stovetop simply sauté the onion and garlic in a little bit of olive oil, add the rest of the ingredients, and simmer for 10 minutes or until everything is tender.
Freeze uncooked ingredients in a freezer-safe bag and simply pour into the instant pot, add one cup of water, and cook for 5 minutes.
Freeze cooked cauliflower curry in a freeze-safe container for up to 3 months.
Allow to thaw overnight before reheating to prevent soggy cauliflower.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop for about 2-3 minutes.
Need More Instant Pot Meals?
The instant pot is just perfect for bringing together nutritious and delicious meals on a busy weeknight.
Why not try one of these recipes next:
- Super Moist Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken (Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot Turkey and Sweet Potato Chilli (plus stovetop)
- Moroccan Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
- Instant Pot Egg Curry from Easy Indian Cookbook
Weeknight Cauliflower Curry Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger grated
- 1 large head of cauliflower cut into similarly sized florets
- 1 can (14oz/400g) full fat coconut milk
- 1 can (28.8oz/800g) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (add more if you want it more spicy)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Select sauté mode on the instant pot, add oil and sauté onion, garlic, and ginger until the onion is translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except fresh cilantro
- Close the lid of the instant pot, seal the valve and select high pressure, cook for 5 minutes (it will take about 20 minutes for the pressure to rise and start cooking)
- Once cooked, release the pressure immediately, open the lid carefully. Serve on rice if desired, sprinkle cilantro on top.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This curry is so delicious and weeknight dinner gets so much easier with the help of Instant Pot
Wow, this is so delicious! And with all the curry flavor my kids don't even mind it being vegetarian.
There's so much crazy good flavor in this simple recipe! It's our new go-to for Meatless Mondays!
Mandy Applegate says
I made this for our Friday night curry and everyone loved it!
Your cauliflower curry soup recipe was so super tasty and easy to make. Thank you for a great recipe!
Lynn Polito says
This is so delicious! My family loves this recipe!