You just have to add this Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken recipe to your weekly repertoire. Seriously! Whip it up on a Sunday night and you can make any number of meals during the week – think chicken soup, chicken pasta, enchiladas, burritos….whatever your little heart desires. Plus if you hang onto the bones you can make up a batch of homemade chicken broth to last all week as well (use it in your soup). How awesome is that?
And don’t worry, you still get that nice crispy skin on the outside, and super moist white and dark meat on the inside.
What are the benefits of a Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken?
- You have a whole chicken ready in less than 30 minutes (ummm yes please), which is just fantastic for a quick weeknight meal;
- The whole chicken is really very moist and infused with the most beautiful delicate flavors;
- Keep the bones and you have about 8 cups of homemade chicken broth at your hands with very little effort;
- You can use the shredded chicken in any number of other meals during the week;
- Not able to use all the chicken within a couple of days? Shred and freeze in smaller amounts and just pull some out when you need it!
I hope you love this easy and nourishing meal as much as my family and I do. If you are looking for something to pair it with then check out these sides:
If you don’t have a pressure cooker yet then check out the Instant Pot. I have had mine for about a year now and seriously use it every single day.
Super moist and so full of flavor, this whole chicken in the pressure cooker will make it onto your weekly rotation in no time. The chicken is handy to have on hand for a number of meals throughout the week. Add it to soups, salads, enchiladas etc
- 1 whole chicken, about 4lb (opt for organic if possible)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil of choice, I use coconut or avocado oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (opt for homemade or organic)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper and cumin. Rub the seasoning all over the outside of the chicken
Turn the sauté function off, flip the chicken over and then add in the broth, lemon juice and smashed garlic
Pop the lid on, set the valve to sealed and set the pressure cooker to high for 25 minutes on manual
Once finished, let the pressure cooker release naturally (natural pressure release)
Remove the chicken from the pressure cooker and let stand for 5 minutes before carving. See notes
Carve the chicken and serve OR tear up the whole chicken and save for meals throughout the week. Be sure to save the liquid from cooking the chicken and the bones from the chicken to make your own chicken broth.