Lightened up with ground turkey and laden with lots of veggies, this Instant Pot Turkey and Sweet Potato Chilli is bright and robust and ready in just 30 minutes. It is easy, comforting and kid friendly, but feel free to add some more spice if you like a kick in your chilli.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Instant Pot Turkey and Sweet Potato Chilli
Let me start by saying that this Instant Pot Turkey and Sweet Potato Chilli is not, in any sense of the word, traditional.
I apologize to those purists that enjoy their traditional hot and spicy chili's, you will not find what you are looking for here.
Instead, you will find a lightened up, veggie and chickpeas laden instant pot chili alternative. It is bright and robust, and using the Instant-Pot means it will take a grand total of 30 minutes to make from start to finish!
Plus it is made with ingredients you will likely already have on hand in the fridge and pantry which is a huge bonus!
Can I Double This Recipe?
This is a great recipe to double.
I usually make a double batch and serve one for dinner and freeze the other for a day when I know I will be super busy.
To double the recipe simply:
- double the ingredients;
- follow the rest of the instructions as they are written;
- add one more minute to the cooking time.
And yes it freezes well too. Simply follow the instructions for cooking the turkey chilli and then pop it in an airtight container or a ziploc bag and into the freezer for around 2-3 months.
Pull it out of the freezer the night before (or morning of) the day you would like to eat it to allow it to thaw completely and re-heat on the stovetop.
No Instant Pot? No Worries!!
I have included the instructions for making Turkey and Sweet Potato Chilli using an Instant-Pot (if you don't have one of these magical pots then get one asap).
But if you don't have one, you can still make it on the stove top, it will just need to simmer away for about an hour (see the notes in the recipe card).
What Do I Serve With This Turkey Sweet Potato Chilli?
There are lots of option for serving up this turkey chili.
I like to change it up from time to time and these all work great:
- serve over long grain, brown or wild rice;
- serve over riced cauliflower;
- serve over riced broccoli;
- stir through a big handful of fresh spinach once cooked;
- mix through some corn to up the veggies.
If you like spice then add some more chilli, I always add some to mine and leave it out for the kids.
Need More Instant Pot Recipes?
Well of course you do, once you start using it there is no going back! I can help you with that:
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Super Moist Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot
- 13 Healthy Homemade Soup Recipes Made In The Instant Pot
If you don't have an instant pot or other electric pressure cooker then go on ahead and grab one for yourself. They free up so much time and make busy weekdays so much more manageable.
Turkey and Sweet Potato Chilli in the Instant Pot
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb organic turkey minced
- 1 can (14.5oz ) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5oz ) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5oz ) chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped into rough 1cm squares
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped into rough 1cm squares
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chilli powder (more or less depending on taste. I find ½ tsp is good for kids)
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooked brown rice or riced cauliflower, chilli flakes, diced avocado, sour cream, grated monterey jack cheese and cilantro to serve
- Set the Instant Pot (or alternative pressure cooker) to sauté. Add oil, and once hot add in the onions and sauté for about 3 mins. Add in the garlic and sauté for a further 1min. Add in the turkey mince and cook until browned.
- Once turkey has browned, add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garbanzo beans, ½ of the chopped red bell peppers, chopped sweet potatoes, vegetable stock, cumin, paprika and chill powder. Salt and pepper to taste and mix everything well.
- Seal the vent. Set to High pressure for 9 mins. Once 9 mins is finished, Quick Release and open lid. Add in the rest of the red bell pepper and stir to combine.
- Serve over some cooked brown rice or riced cauliflower for low-carb. Add a dollop of sour cream, some diced avocado, grated cheese, chopped cilantro and more chilli flakes to serve.
Stove Top Directions
- Complete step one and two (above) in a large saucepan. Once you get to step 3 simmer for about 30 minutes before continuing with the directions as above.
Be sure to join me over on Instagram for some tips, tricks, and behind the scenes.
- Lemon Oregano Chicken Skewers;
- 4 Ingredient Teriyaki Salmon;
- Lemon Parmesan Chicken with Garlic Butter Veg
- The Perfect Slow Cooker Ratatouille Recipe
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.