Ok we are starting Fall right with a Chia Pumpkin Pie Donut! Tomorrow marks September 1st, and we all know that in the U.S. that means pumpkins, pumpkin spice and chocolate chip everything. I am a bit torn as I will be traveling in Australia for the duration of Fall and will miss out on my favorite season completely. So in preparation I have been getting my Fall flavors fix for the past couple of weeks, and will continue to fit as much in as I can in the next couple of weeks.
As an aside, If you happen to live anywhere near Sacramento in California, don’t expect to get your hands on any pumpkin pie spice anywhere tomorrow – I will be buying it all up first thing in the morning to bring it back to Oz with me (you can’t get it there and I have had so many requests 🙂 ).
A baked chia pumpkin pie donut is super fluffy, filling and delicious. Perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack. If you don’t have a doughnut pan, they will work just as well as muffins, but doughnuts are just way more fun 🙂 Drizzle on some melted dark chocolate to take them to the next level, and you will be a happy wee clam when it comes to afternoon tea time (I know I was).
What are you looking forward to the most with Fall on our doorstep? Let me know if you try out a chia pumpkin pie donut! If you need some more Fall recipe inspiration then be sure to check out these recipes:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Make your chia eggs by combining the chia seeds with the water and setting aside for at least 5 mins
- In a large bowl. whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the maple syrup, coconut oil and chia seed mixture. Mix together (but don't over-mix), gently fold in the pumpkin puree until just combined
- Coat the inside of the doughnut pan with coconut oil to prevent sticking. Divide the mixture between 12 doughnut cups (you will have to do two loads if your pan only holds 6 doughnuts). Pop in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until golden and a tooth pick comes out clean. Leave to cool completely in the pan
- To serve: melt some dark chocolate and dip the tops of the doughnuts in the melted chocolate (optional)
- To store: store at room temperature or freeze