This Chickpea Spinach and Brown Rice Pot is a great little dish which is so easy to prepare. Delicious served with some yoghurt, a big dollop of hummus and some fresh whole wheat pita bread or Lebanese bread if you can get it
What a week! Teething is a b!%ch, teething plus a cold = whole other level. That is all, let’s move on and never speak of this again. Please let me never have to speak of this again.
On the plus side, I got a new cookbook! I pre-ordered it months ago, so I had totally forgotten it was coming. These days my brain is a sieve, and I only remember things are happening if someone reminds me (over and over again), or it is programmed to pop up as a reminder on my phone (over and over again).
Needless to say it kinda felt like my birthday when it arrived. SO exciting. Yes, my idea of exciting may have gotten a lot tamer over the years; but let’s not lie to each other, receiving something in the mail that you didn’t know was coming, and that something is not a bill….always been exciting! Alway’s gonna be exciting.
Except it arrived on a week where my 8 month old was sick and teething. I know I said we weren’t going to talk about it, but you knew it was coming back, don’t pretend you didn’t. I didn’t have the time to give it the attention it deserved (meaning, I didn’t have the time to sit on the couch with a glass of wine and my sticky notes after the kids were in bed - see, exciting!)
Anyway, instead of trying something fancy and totally impractical from my new cookbook, I made this super quick and easy Chickpea Spinach and Brown Rice Pot with what we had in the cupboard. It takes like 10 minutes, is filling and chock full of flavour. Perfect for when you don’t have the time or energy to be in the kitchen for hours but still want something nutritious and delicious to put on the table. Have at it.
Chickpea, Spinach and Brown Rice Medley
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 onions coarsely chopped
- 800 g canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice cooked according to packet instructions
- 80 g baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp seven spices seasoning see notes for a cheat if you don't have any
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the onions and garlic and cook over a medium-low heat for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally until lightly coloured
- Put the chickpeas in a pan and cover with water. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes
- Once cooked, add the chickpeas to the onion mixture. Add in the cooked rice, baby spinach, cumin, seven spices, pepper and salt and cook for another few minutes until the spinach has wilted and the dish is warmed through
- Serve immediately with some yoghurt, a dollop of hummus and some fresh whole wheat pita bread