Light, flavorful, and so easy to bring together, this honey lemon and sea salt air fryer asparagus should be at the center of your next brunch or dinner. Only a handful of simple ingredients are needed for this zesty little vegetarian side, and it cooks so perfectly in the air fryer that it will fast become your new favorite method for cooking asparagus.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
If you just want the recipe, then feel free to click on the ‘Jump To Recipe’ button above. If you want some tips, tricks and serving suggestions for the recipe, you will find them in the post below. I try to include only useful information.
Honey, Lemon and Sea Salt Air Fryer Asparagus
This side dish is so simple, and so delicious.
Honey, lemon and sea salt really adds a lovely zing of flavor to the earthy asparagus, making this one side dish everyone can get behind.
Even the kids love it due to the hint of sweetness from the honey!
You are going to need:
- Avocado Oil
- Local Honey
- Sea Salt
It really couldn’t get more simple than just that handful of easy to find ingredients.
Picking The Perfect Asparagus
Asparagus is pretty easy to cook with, and finding the perfect asparagus spears for your dish is as simple as checking for a few things: firm and heavy spears with no dried out bits:
- Look for firm spears with tight heads and ends that aren’t too woody or dried out.
- Try to choose asparagus that feels heavy for its size to avoid ending up with dried out or flavorless asparagus.
- Avoid wrinkled stems, dropping heads, browned ends, or dried out anything.
Simple Steps For The Perfect Asparagus Side Dish
You have the ingredients, now let’s make the dish.
- Wash you asparagus well.
- Snap the ends of the asparagus. Simply hold the asparagus on both ends and bend until it snaps. This method is supposed to allow the asparagus to break at the perfect point, just where it starts to get woody. Some people do say this method wastes a lot of the asparagus and you are better just cutting it so you get the most bang for your buck, you do you.
- I don’t bother peeling the asparagus, but if you have some dried out or woody looking shoots coming from the sides you are going to want to remove those too.
- Add your trimmed asparagus to a bowl long enough for it to lie flat.
- Add the avocado oil, sea salt, and lemon to the asparagus and use some tongs to toss well and combine.
- Drizzle on the honey and toss again.
- Add to the basket of the air fryer and cook for 9 minutes.
- Remove your perfectly cooked asparagus, add some freshly cracked black pepper, serve and enjoy.
Choosing An Air Fryer
If you don’t already have an air-fryer, choosing one can be a bit confusing as there are so many different types on the market.
My biggest tip would be to consider capacity.
How many people are you cooking for? I am cooking for a family of 5 and we regularly have people over, so I chose the biggest one I could find on the market with a good brand name and warranty behind it.
If you are only cooking for yourself, or yourself and a partner, you may benefit from having a smaller unit.
Also, consider bench space. The big ones can be pretty huge, so you want to make sure you have enough space before adding it to your family of kitchen appliances.
Serving Up The Air Fryer Asparagus
Air fryer asparagus makes a great side dish to any meal. With the hint of lemon, it makes the perfect addition to a spring feast.
It also works especially well with chicken or fish.
Some more out of the box ideas:
- Serve it in a buddha style bowl (with rice or grain and lots of other chopped up veggies and maybe some protein)
- Chop and add to some quinoa or couscous for an easy salad
- Add a poached egg on top and enjoy for breakfast
I would love to hear how you enjoy your air fryer asparagus, so if you have a favorite way be sure to leave a comment and I will update the list and share it with everyone.
Need More Side Dish Recipes To Wow?
I am a HUGE fan of side dishes.
To me, they make a meal, and I actually prefer them to the main course.
Check out some of my favorites here:
- Maple Roasted Mini Potatoes
- Roasted Dutch Carrots
- Maple Glazed Sauteed Green Beans and Carrots
- Garlic Pepper Skillet Green Beans
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
Honey Lemon and Sea Salt Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp local raw honey
- freshly cracked black pepper to serve
- Snap the ends of the asparagus off and wash thoroughly (see notes)
- In a bowl or dish long enough to hold the asparagus, combine all the ingredients except the honey and toss well to coat.
- Drizzle the honey over the asparagus and use tongs to toss again.
- Place in the air fryer (it will shrink down during the cooking process, so don’t worry if it’s not flat) and bake at 375 degrees for about 9 minutes, tossing them halfway through.
- Immediately remove from the air fryer basket to cool, garnish with coarse sea salt, and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Need More Air Fried Recipes?
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3