This healthy chocolate and peanut butter rice bubble slice recipe is a no-brainer when it comes to treat time. They are the perfect little homemade chocolate treat to keep you going through that afternoon slump and a fun after school snack that won’t ruin anyone’s appetite for dinner. Easy to bring together, make a big batch and keep them stored in the freezer for a grab-n-go snack you can feel confident feeding the whole family.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
If you just want the recipe, then feel free to click on the ‘Jump To Recipe’ button above. If you want some tips, tricks and serving suggestions for the recipe, you will find them in the post below. I try to include only useful information.
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Healthy Rice Bubble Slice
My kids are all kinds of obsessed with this healthy rice bubble recipe at the moment, and I have to admit I am too because it is:
- super easy to make
- full of simple ingredients
- loaded with good fats from the coconut oil
- naturally sweetened with maple syrup
- contains a good dose of protein from the peanut butter
- still has chocolatey goodness from the unsweetened cacao, which is also a superfood loaded with antioxidants
- it’s no-bake, so no need to heat up the kitchen, just dump the ingredients together, mix, freeze and you are good to go.
I make my rice bubble slice with brown rice puffs (like this version from Barbara’s) because it’s what we have on hand, and they have way less unnecessary ingredients than name brands like rice Krispies.
However, if you have rice Krispies on hand, they will work just fine.
Can This Rice Bubble Slice Recipe Be Made Ahead Of Time?
In fact, it works best if stored in the freezer, so making it ahead of time and storing it in an airtight container in the freezer works just perfectly.
Simply remove from the freezer when you are ready to indulge, and you are ready to go.
It can, of course, be stored in the fridge as well, it just won’t last as long.
Some Fun Ways To Serve This Chocolate and Peanut Butter Rice Bubble Slice Recipe.
Don’t get tricked into thinking that just because this is a slice that it has to be enjoyed as such.
We have had a great wee time playing around with this and serving it up in lots of fun different ways, try these out:
- Chop up a couple of slices and pop it on top of your morning oats. As it melts quite easily you end up with nice clumps of chocolate peanut butter rice bubbles through the oatmeal which adds some great texture. Plus a nice dose of healthy fats from the coconut oil, which keeps you fuller for longer
- Makes a great topping for yogurt or ice cream
- Add it to your popcorn for some chocolate peanut butter crunch
- Use it as the base layer for a healthier cake instead of your traditional date/nut combination
- If it’s not too hot outside add it to some homemade trail mix, as it gets a bit melty it will add some nice clusters of whatever else you have added in there, plus giving you extra energy and protein from the coconut oil and peanut butter.
If you can think of another fun way to serve up your chocolate peanut butter rice bubble slice then be sure to leave it in the comments and I will update the list.
Need More Snack Recipes?
Rice bubbles make a fun ingredient to work with in the kitchen when little kids are involved.
Here are some more fun snack ideas
- Healthy Rice Bubble Bars (if you aren’t feeling the peanut butter)
- Puffed Brown Rice and Banana Energy Balls
- Coconut and Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola
- Coconut and Lemon Cheesecake Fat Bombs
- Dark Chocolate Blackberry Cheesecake Fat Bombs
Healthy Peanut Butter and Chocolate Rice Bubble Slice
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice bubbles
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter (check ingredients for no added nasties)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 5 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Line a 9×5 pan with parchment paper or cling wrap
- In a large bowl combine the cocoa powder, peanut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract and a pinch of salt
- Add in the brown rice bubbles and mix well to combine
- Pour in the rice mixture and use a spatula to level it out so that it is relatively smooth on top
- Pop into the freezer for 15 minutes until completely set. Once set remove from the freezer and use a sharp knife to cut into squares for serving. Store in the freezer, as the coconut oil will melt if it gets too warm.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3