Instant Pot Lasagna Soup has all of the great flavors of a traditionally slow baked lasagna with only a fraction of the time required (only 6 minutes cooking time once the pressure cooker comes to pressure!).
Ahh you guys!!! Exact words 'well we never have to make ordinary lasagna again, why would we?' This is coming from my husband with the Italian mother, my husband who orders lasagna EVERY time we go to an Italian restaurant. Even my three year old has requested this over pizza twice this week...that my friends is unheard of!
For these reasons alone this dish made it into our 'regulars' rotation from the very first time it showed up on the table. Crazy!
Why Make Instant Pot Lasagna Soup?
Well! There are a number of reasons, which I am more than happy to share with you:
- It comes together in one pot;
- Once the pressure cooker comes to pressure it takes only 6 mins of cooking time;
- Start to finish the whole thing takes 30 mins;
- The flavor is just phenomenal: al dente pasta, perfectly cooked beef mince, slightly crunchy vegetables and a nice subtle creamy sauce hanging around in the background;
- Just for good measure...did I mention how QUICK it comes together?
If those reasons enough don't convince you then you need to just go ahead and make a batch to try it out for yourself. Just a quick note: we like ours to be slightly thicker than you would associate with a soup, but if you want yours to be more soup-like then add another ½ cup of broth during the cooking time and you will be all set.
If you try out our Instant Pot Lasagna Soup we want to hear ALL about it. Leave a comment and let us know what you think. Happy eating.
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, removed from stalk
- 1 cup tomato sauce (sauce NOT kethcup)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced (about 2 cups)
- 3.5 cups organic chicken stock or vegetable stock (see notes)
- 10 lasagna noodles, roughly broken (see notes re size)
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ⅓ cup cream cheese (sub 1 cup ricotta or cottage cheese)
- freshly grated parmesan, fresh basil and red chilli flakes to serve
- Press 'sauté' on the instant pot. Add a small amount of cooking oil of choice (I used avocado). Once hot, add in the beef mince. Break up with a wooden spoon and sauté until browned.
- Add in the onions, stir and cook for about 2 mins. Add in the garlic, stir and cook for another minute.
- Pop in the carrots, celery and oregano, stir and cook for about a minute and then turn off the sauté function.
- Add in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, fresh tomatoes and stock (see notes re stock). Give everything a good stir and then add in the broken lasagna noodles. Stir them in, making sure to cover them with the liquid otherwise they will not cook properly.
- Put on the lid, seal and set the pot to 'Manual' pressure cook for 6 minutes.
- Once the pot beeps do a 'Quick Pressure Release (QPR)', remove the lid and give everything a good stir. Add in the baby spinach and the cream cheese, give everything a stir, leave for a moment for the cream cheese to melt and then stir again.
- Serve immediately with some freshly grated parmesan, fresh basil and red chilli flakes. You may need to add some salt (I usually find I don't have to due to the cheese and tomato paste). This can also be enjoyed the next day but it will be less soupy and more like a lasagna.