Vegan Tomato Cream Sauce and Pasta is a staple recipe to have in your house on those nights when you need dinner on the table in 15 minutes and you haven’t had a chance to venture to the grocery store yet. Creamy, delicious and nutritious, this is the perfect meal for big and little ones alike. It also packs well for lunch the next day.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Embracing The Simple With Vegan Tomato Pasta Sauce
It can be so easy to get caught up in trying to create something new and interesting, that you can forget that sometimes it’s the simple meals that are the most enjoyable.
Take this week for example. We had some mushroom cold rolls with chili and lime dipping sauce, some chicken and zucchini skewers with salsa verde, and a lovely Summer Stone Fruit and Spinach Strawberry Pecan Salad.
All really yummy, and well received by everyone in the house. But kinda fancy for everyday weeknight faire.
Tonight….I just couldn’t come up with anything exciting.
Life gets busy and sometimes coming up with the mental energy to create something new just isn’t going to happen. That’s when you need something quick and easy like a classic creamy tomato pasta sauce and some spaghetti that can be thrown together quickly, and you know everyone will eat.
My Secret Ingredient: Cashews
My kids’ favorite thing to do is sprinkle cheese on their pasta, so I knew if they were going to eat their dinner there had to be something to sprinkle on top.
On a whim, I grated some cashews and they were thrilled with the results. It looked exactly like parmesan cheese but also added a depth of flavor to the pasta dish which was just lovely!
What Ingredients Are Required For Vegan Tomato Cream Sauce?
This is a simple dish.
One that everyone has probably thrown together at some time in their life. And it is made out of ingredients most people no doubt have lingering in the fridge and pantry.
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes, or if they are in season then fresh tomatoes are amazing;
- mixed herbs;
- balsamic vinegar (don’t leave this one out, it makes the dish!);
- non-dairy milk of choice.
Is Vegan Tomato Cream Sauce and Pasta Kid Friendly?
Definitely. What kid doesn’t like spaghetti? Mine didn’t even miss the cheese and were actually quite intrigued with sprinkling cashews on top. They thought it was a bit of a treat.
I even got the ultimate seal of approval with a declaration that:
‘hmm, delicious…we are so lucky to have a family restaurant in our home‘
Does my daughter know how to butter me up or what? I swear she is 6 going on 32!! She did request chocolate about two minutes later…so she knew exactly what she was doing 😛
Do you have a favorite staple dish you fall back to on those days you just can’t muster the energy for something different? I would love to hear what it is! Be sure to leave a comment and let us know all about it.
A staple to have in your house on those nights when you need dinner on the table in 20 minutes. Creamy and delicious and perfect for big and little ones alike. Packs well for lunch the next day.
- 1 lb spaghetti of choice
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 ounce can of diced tomatoes 28
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cashew milk
- Grated cashews and chopped parsley leaves to serve or parmesan if you aren't vegan
- Cook pasta according to package instructions
- While pasta is cooking, heat the avocado oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the onions become translucent
- Add the diced tomatoes, oregano, sage, parsley and salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the tomato mix to a boil, reduce heat to low and leave to simmer until sauce has thickened up. About 10 minutes
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar, followed by the cashew milk. Once heated through, remove from the heat and mix in with the cooked spaghetti
- Garnish with the grated cashews and parsley and serve
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it.
I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3
Try some other quick and easy meals:
- 6 Ingredient Teriyaki Salmon Rice Bowl with Avocado and Pickled Radish;
- Instant Pot Potato Leek and Cheddar Soup;
- Crusted Sage and Macadamia Nut Chicken Breasts
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow Whole Food Bellies on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!