Flavorful, delicious and comforting, this Instant Pot Potato Soup with Cheddar and Leek comes together in just 25 minutes from start to finish. The perfect bowl of steaming goodness for a cold night. Just waiting to be sprinkled with cheese and mopped up with a big wedge of fresh bread.
Get Dinner on The Table in Under 30 Minutes
Weeknights are busy! Once you start throwing in everyone's extra-curricular activities, your need to go to the gym, hubbies need to go for a run and then getting dinner on the table and the cleaning done afterward there just isn't much time at all.
Slow it down for yourself and speed it up in the kitchen with this flavorful and comforting dinner that comes together in less than half an hour in the instant pot. And I mean there's cheese in it, so even the kids won't complain.
Yes You Can Make It In The Slow Cooker
I used to always make this soup in the slow cooker. There is something lovely about having something simmering away all day and walking in the door after a long day and smelling dinner just waiting for you.
These days, my mornings are way too hectic and that level of organization just doesn't happen very often. You can find the slow cooker version here though if that's your jam. I probably made it close to one hundred times in the slow cooker and I have to say this version tastes just as great (if not better?!?), and being ready in 25 minutes makes it the perfect weeknight meal.
What Ingredients Are Needed For Instant Pot Potato Soup?
We don't need any fancy ingredients here. Just stuff you probably already have hanging out in the fridge and pantry:
- mixed herbs
- white wine
- cream, and
- cheese. just a note here, I like to grate my own, and that is what is used in this recipe. If you want to use pre-grated cheese it should work just as well, just be sure to check the ingredient list as there can be lots of added bits and pieces in there.
To make it next level you can always serve it with some crispy fried bacon and shallots on top. I am also partial to a drizzle of white truffle oil when I am feeling a bit fancy.
Changes readers have made that have worked for them:
- used ricotta instead of the cream,
- subbed in white wine vinegar instead of the wine,
- used whatever herbs they had growing in the garden,
- used yams instead of potatoes.
What To Do With Leftovers?
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of days. This reheats really well on the stovetop or in the microwave. Just heat and serve with some fresh bread.
Instant Pot Potato Soup with Cheddar and Leek
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 leeks cleaned and thinly sliced, white and light green
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 leaves bay
- ¾ cup white wine
- 5 cups vegetable broth make your own
- 4-5 cups medium gold potatoes peeled and diced, I used yukon
- 1 ½ cups cream or half and half
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Using the sauté function, melt the butter in the instant pot. Once melted, add the sliced leeks and salt and sauté until soft. Add the crushed garlic; saute for 30 seconds and turn off the sauté function
- Remove a small portion of the leeks and set aside for serving
- To the leek mixture in the pot add in the thyme, oregano, bay leaves, white wine, broth, and potatoes. Give it all a good stir and set to high pressure for 10 minutes
- Once complete, quick release and open the pot. Remove the bay leaves, add in the cream and use a stick immersion blender to puree the soup until it reaches the consistency of your liking (see notes)
- Set the instant pot to warm and heat the soup through
- Once hot serve up with a sprinkle of extra sautéed leeks, some crispy bacon and a sprinkle of cheese
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it.
I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3
Need some more Instant Pot Meals to get dinner on the table quicker? Check these out:
- Instant Pot Turkey and Sweet Potato Chilli (plus stovetop alternative)
- Instant Pot Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Super Moist Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don’t forget to follow Whole Food Bellies on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Or if Pinterest isn’t your style, bookmark this post!
Let’s keep the conversation going- join my Facebook group!