This Udon Noodle Bowl is just bursting at the seams with so much flavor. Fresh spiralized zucchini, cucumber and carrot, chopped mint, basil and cilantro and lots of lime. Eat for a delicious dinner paired with some chicken, salmon or crispy tofu and enjoy as a cold noodle salad for lunch the next day.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
udon noodle bowl 480
How To Get The Best Spiralized Vegetables For Your Udon Noodle Bowl
There are a few options here depending on what level of commitment you have to the humble veggie noodle.
If you want to go all out then this attachment for the Kitchen Aid is just perfect (and has been on my own personal wish list for a long time).
If you want to save a bit of money, or aren't sure how much you would use this attachment and don't want to go all out just yet then this one works perfectly as well. I have had mine for about 3 years now and have had no issues.
TIP: stay away from the little hand-held versions. They are fine if you are cooking for one, but if you need veggie noodles for more than one person they are such a time-suck and will put you off making veggie noodles for life.
What If I Don't Have/Don't Want a Spiralizer?
Too much stuff and not enough space? I hear ya!
You can always get away with julienning or cutting the vegetables super thin or even just grate them on the largest hole on a box grater. Obviously, you won't have the same noodle-look but you will still get a great flavor.
Can This Udon Noodle Bowl Be Made Ahead?
This is actually served cold so it is just perfect for prepping ahead of time. Simply:
- Make all the veggie noodles and cook, rinse and drain the udon
- Mix them all together
- Whip up the dressing and store in a glass mason jar
- Combine the dressing with the noodles just before serving
In terms of leftovers, this Zucchini Cilantro and Lime Udon Noodle Bowl actually make a pretty awesome cold udon noodle salad for lunch the next day. Giving the veggie noodles a little bit of time to soak in the dressing gives them less of a crunch, and more of a noodley texture for something different (if that's a word).
Easily transportable as well which is handy.
Can This Udon Noodle Bowl Be Made More Substantial For a Main Meal?
Yes. This udon noodle bowl lends itself well to adding some protein. Try one of these options:
- Grilled honey salmon
- Grilled or poached chicken
- Rotisserie chicken
- Crispy tofu (like this one)
- Some thinly sliced sautéed beef
Can It Be Made Gluten-Free?
To make this bowl gluten-free you are going to want to substitute some rice based noodles for the udon. Also be sure to double-check the tamari as some of them will contain gluten.
Can It Be Made Low-Carb?
I love me some carbs BUT if you prefer yours lighter on the carbs then I would ditch the noodles and double the veggies. Easy!
Home will you serve your udon noodle bowl?
Zucchini Cilantro and Lime Udon Noodle Bowl
- 200 grams (7oz) fresh udon noodles
- 2 medium zucchini spiralized
- 2 medium carrots spiralized
- 1 lebanese cucumber spiralized
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves (corriander) chopped
- 1/3 cup mint leaves shredded
- 1/3 cup basil leaves shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 4 tbsp gluten-free tamari
- 3 tbsp runny honey (sub maple syrup)
- Cook the noodles in boiling water for 3-5 minutes or until soft.
- Drain and rinse under cold water until the noodles are cooled and the starchy exterior has been rinsed off.
- Combine the noodles with the spiarlized zucchini, carrot and cucumber. Add in the chopped herbs and toss to combine.
- In a glass jar mix together the lime juice, tamari and honey.
- Pour the dressing over the noodle salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Need more noodle bowl recipes? Check these out:
- Spicy Pork and Miso Noodle Bowl
- Lemongrass Beef Brisket Noodle Bowl
- Crunchy Noodle Salad with Crispy Tofu and Cabbage
- Easy Bone Broth Noodle Bowl From The View From Great Island
- Lemongrass Vegetable Noodle Salad From Culinary Ginger
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3