We have lightened up a classic here to make a broccoli cauliflower soup that is not only hearty and comforting but also gluten-free, lower in carbs and absolutely delicious. Chock full of veggies, this is a soup that really sticks to the ribs and leaves your belly wholly satisfied.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
This soup really lends itself to being mopped up with a big hunk of fresh crusty bread. In fact, the kids loved it so much that the bread was used to ensure immaculately clean bowls once the soup had been guzzled down.
Troubleshooting: Making Broccoli Cauliflower Soup In The Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker.
Do I have to sauté the onions, carrots and garlic?
You don't have to do anything you don't want to. If you want to save a couple of minutes on the recipe then by all means go ahead. I have made this soup multiple times and I really feel like it tastes better when the onions, carrots, and garlic have been sautéed and get a little bit of caramelization on the edges.
But it is definitely not necessary, and if you are in a hurry then just skip this step, dump everything in the pot and be on your merry way.
Making Broccoli Cauliflower Soup On The Stove Top
This can absolutely be made on the stovetop. It just takes a wee bit more time, but don't worry it will taste just as good.
To make Broccoli Cauliflower Soup on the stovetop simply:
- Follow the first two steps in a large saucepan.
- Then bring to a simmer and cook until the broccoli and cauliflower are both very tender. This should take about 30 minutes.
- Once tender, remove the pot from the heat and stir in the spices, herbs, and cheese.
- Blend and serve.
Speaking of blending....I am so happy to be reunited with my immersion blender so I don't have to scoop the soup out into the blender. This is the one I have and I absolutely recommend.
Funny story....my mother-in-law bought me that immersion blender when I was 21 and all I could think was "when am I EVER going to use that thing???"....and I never did. Until I hit 30 and now I use the dang thing every bloody day!!
Substitutions To Make Broccoli Cauliflower Soup Suit Your Diet
Make It Gluten Free
You are in luck as this soup is almost certainly gluten-free, only dependant on the mustard you use.
Most prepared mustards are gluten-free. However, a few prepared mustards are made with either wheat flour or malt vinegar. Just be sure to read the ingredient list to make sure your prepared mustard does not contain those ingredients.
Make It Dairy Free
Cheese is a BIG part of this recipe.
If you can't have cheese then you can try either a vegan cheese substitute or adding a little bit of nutritional yeast. I have not tested this recipe with either, so if you do then be sure to pop back and let us know how it went.
Make It Vegan
Same as above. The only non-vegan elements of this soup would be the cheese. Sub in some vegan cheese substitute or some nutritional yeast and pop back to let us know how it turned out!
In Need Of More Soups?
Soups have become my love language over the years. They are easy to make and can be prepared quickly in a pressure cooker, lovingly on a stovetop or when you aren't even at home in a slow cooker.
If you need some more soups in your life then check these out:
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup In The Instant Pot
- Rustic Sausage and Bean Soup
- Cauliflower Soup with Carrot, Cumin, and Lentil
- Creamy Irish Mushroom and Potato Soup
- Cream of Celery Soup.
Which one will you make first?
Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil or cooking oil of choice
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Press the Sauté button on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil. Once oil is hot stir in the onion and carrots and cook about 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the broth.
- Add the broccoli and cauliflower to the pot, pop on the lid, and set Instant Pot to cook at High Pressure for 8 minutes.
- At the end of 8 minutes, do a quick release of pressure, open the lid and turn the pot off. Add in the paprika, turmeric, and dijon and stir until incorporated.
- Add the cheese and stir, mixing well until fully melted. Once melted season to taste.
- At this point I like to blend the soup in the pot with an immersion blender to make a super creamy soup. Alternatively you can just take half the soup and blend until smooth and creamy and then add it back to the pot. It makes for a thicker soup.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3