Rich, creamy, delicious, and so easy to pull together, this Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake makes a perfect no-fuss dinner for the whole family. Perfect for meal prepping ahead of time, simply pop into the oven when it is time to eat. This pasta bake also makes a great meal to bring to a friend or loved-one in need of some TLC.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
If you just want the recipe, then feel free to click on the 'Jump To Recipe' button above. If you want some tips, tricks and serving suggestions for the recipe, you will find them in the post below. I try to include only useful information.
You will need:
- whole wheat penne pasta
- unsalted butter
- whole wheat flour
- whole milk
- cream cheese
- chicken broth
- cooked chicken (can use leftover rotisserie chicken)
- diced tomatoes
- mozzarella cheese
- sun-dried tomatoes
- parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley leaves
The list may seem a little long at first glance, but the ingredients are everyday pantry and fridge basics, except maybe the sun-dried tomatoes if you don't live in Australia.
If sun-dried tomatoes aren't something you usually buy, you can find them in the aisle at the supermarkets where you would find jars of olives and artichokes etc
How To Make The Perfect Chicken Bake
This pasta bake is so easy to bring together.
It is one of my go-to meals if I want to make something comforting to drop off to a friend who needs a little bit of love.
One of the best things about it is that it can easily be prepared right up to the point of being put into the oven, and then it can be refrigerated or frozen, depending on your needs.
This makes a perfect comforting meal to drop off to friends or family in need of some extra love and attention.
Simply cook the pasta, make the creamy sauce, add all of the ingredients together, sprinkle the parmesan on top and bake.
Be sure to whisk out any lumps in the alfredo sauce before adding the rest of the ingredients, or you could end up with lumps of flour in your pasta bake.
You can use poached chicken breasts or some leftover rotisserie chicken.
Tips and Tricks For Making Your Pasta Bake Ahead Of Time
As mentioned above, this is one of my go-to meals for preparing and dropping off to a friend or family member needing some good home-cooked food.
It also makes a great make-and-freeze meal that can simply be defrosted and popped into the oven on a busy night.
Great for during the school term or when you have a lot on at work.
Meal prepping: prepare this pasta bake right up until the point of adding the cheese on top, wrap with some cling wrap, and then pop it into the freezer for a busy night. Simply allow the dish to thaw, and then heat in the oven when needed.
Creamy alfedo also packs and reheats well in the microwave, making it a great option for taking leftovers to work the next day.
You may want to add a little bit of water to the pasta bake before reheating in the microwave to loosen up the sauce if it seems a bit dry after being in the fridge.
How To Serve Up A Chicken Pasta Bake
As this is a rich dish full of pasta and a creamy sauce you might want to serve it with a side salad to lighten things up a little bit.
I would suggest a simple garden salad of lettuce, tomato wedges, and chopped cucumber with an olive oil and lemon dressing.
To make it a complete meal, or to change things up a bit, you might want to consider serving these up alongside the bake:
- crunchy bread to mop up all that tomatoey cream sauce
- chilli flakes on top
- some sprinkled parsley
- extra cheese sprinkled on top
- some grilled or roasted veggies on the side: broccoli, asparagus or beans would work well
Hot tip: cold alfredo chicken pasta works great as a dish to take along on a picnic!
Need More Carb Loving Comforting Recipes To Fill Up Hungry Bellies?
Pasta is always a hit in our house and is such an easy meal to get on the family table during a busy week.
Check out these recipes for some pasta and carb love inspiration.
- Lightened Up Creamy Pasta Salad
- Vegan Tomato Cream Sauce With Pasta
- Tuna Salad Stuffed Jumbo Shells
- Mushroom and Herbed Ricotta Cannelloni
- Slow-Cooked Minced Pork Ragu
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup from Glenda Embree
Sundried Tomato and Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- ¼ cup chicken broth or more, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb cooked chicken roughly chopped or shredded (see notes)
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¼ cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- chilli flakes to serve
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook pasta according to package instructions
- In a large skillet with a lid, melt the butter over med-high heat. Once melted, add in the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 mins, until fragrant
- Whisk in the flour for about a minute and then gradually whisk in the milk, watching for lumps. Whisk continuously until the mixture has thickened slightly, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in cream cheese and the chicken broth and mix until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and turn the heat to low
- Add the shredded or chopped chicken to the sauce and mix until well coated.
- Add the cooked pasta, diced tomatoes, mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes to the mixture and stir well to combine. Sprinkle the parmesan on top and pop into the oven for 10-14 mins (see notes)
- Serve garnished with parsley with a nice hunk of fresh bread and a salad on the side
- See notes below for meal prepping and freezing advice.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
If you tried this recipe please comment and rate it. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! And if you make this please tag me on Instagram with @wholefoodbellies so I can share it <3