Snack time just got easier with these simple and delicious air fryer apple chips. Only 2 ingredients and a few minutes are needed and you will have a great little snack on hand that will be a huge hit with adults and kids alike. Great for lunchboxes or an after-school snack, these healthy potato chip alternatives are great eaten all by themselves or paired with some almond or peanut butter for a nice protein hit.
Cinnamon Dusted Air Fryer Apple Chips
Apple chips are a healthier-for-you snack that is naturally sweet, full of fibre, and packs well as a snack for the whole family.
- Refined sugar-free
- Lunchbox friendly
- Dairy free
- Egg free
- Nut free
They are so easy to make and last stored in an airtight container for a whole week, making them perfect for meal prepping for the week ahead.
All you need is:
- Ground cinnamon
Any variety of apple will do for homemade apple chips, but I am partial to a pink lady or a Honeycrisp as they tend to be a bit sweeter and make for a great sweet afternoon snack.
The Benefits Of Making Apple Chips In The Air Fryer
Although apple chips can definitely be made in an oven or a dehydrator, they are going to get so much crunchier when made using an air fryer.
Plus they require a lot less time.
These are so easy to make.
- Thinly slice an apple. They work better the thinner they are, so if you have a mandolin handy, dust it off and give it a whirl.
- You do not have to peel or core the apple, slicing it thinly means the seeds fall out, and the peel actually crisps up quite well
- Toss the apple slices into some cinnamon
- Arrange apple cinnamon slices into single layers in the air fryer
- Cook for about 8 minutes, or until super crunchy and dry.
Simply slice the apple into very thin slices, sprinkle with some cinnamon, and cook in the air fryer for about 8 minutes, or until super crunchy. They may brown a little, this is ok.
Different air fryers have different strengths of fans and heating elements, so you may have to adjust these instructions depending on the brand of air fryer you are using.
Air fryer apple chips get crunchier as they cool down, so please give these little guys a few minutes to cool completely when they come out of the air fryer.
If you want something a bit chewier then try making your apple chips in a dehydrator instead.
If you are going the dehydrator route, then you will want to increase your cooking time to around 12 hours.
Tips For The Best Cinnamon Dusted Air Fryer Apple Chips
I have made these so many times I feel like I have become a bit of an expert.
Tips to make sure you get the best apple chips in your air fryer:
- Use a mandolin. This way your apple chips will be evenly sliced which means they will cook at the same time. This way you can also control how thin they end up being (too thin and they will burn, too thick and they will take longer to crisp up).
- If you do not have a mandolin I have also had luck with a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife.
- Try to make sure all slices are the same thickness. If not, they will not cook at the same time and you will have to remove some before others.
- Do not make the apple slices paper-thin, they will just burn.
- Your apple chips may look a little bit browned/burned once cooked, especially if using cinnamon, this will depend on the apple variety, but they will still taste amazing. They should not taste burned.
- You do not need to peel or core the apple. Cutting thin slices like we do here means the seeds will fall away on their own anyway, and the peel crisps up quite nicely (plus it is full of nutrients).
The fan may make the apple chips fly up. To correct this, simply check on the apple chips a few times during cooking, and rearrange them into a single layer. If you have a suitable rack to place on top of the apple slices to stop them from flying up, then use this.
The apple slices will not feel crispy when you remove them from the basket.
They will still feel slightly pliable.
On cooling, however, they will become crispier.
To store, allow the apple chips to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container.
They should last at room temperature for about a week.
What To Serve With Homemade Air Fryer Apple Chips
Cinnamon apple chips are great for snacking as is.
Once cooled, simply crunch away.
However, you can use them in so many different ways (which is especially useful if you have made a big batch):
- serve with some peanut butter or almond butter for dipping
- add some to your next batch of homemade granola
- add them to your next batch of homemade trail mix
- add a few slices to the top of your next loaf of banana bread
- top an apple smoothie with some apple chips to pretty it up
- add some to a batch of apple and blueberry quinoa breakfast bowl or your oatmeal in the morning
- my kids enjoy dipping theirs into some plain yogurt
- apple chips also make a fun addition to a salad, especially one boasting lots of Fall flavors.
How will you eat yours?
Need More Delicious Snack Recipes?
I don't know about you, but snacks are always in high demand around here.
Check these out:
- Peanut Butter Choc Chip Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Cinnamon Whole Wheat Graham Crackers
- Cinnamon Apple Smoothie
- Fresh Apple Cinnamon Granola
- Keto Mini Apple Grain-Free Muffins
- No-Bake Apricot Chia Bars from The Cooking Collective
Cinnamon Dusted Air Fryer Apple Chips
- Air Fryer
Clicking any equipment link above will earn me a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- 2 large sweet crisp apples (see notes)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Wash and dry the apples. At this point you can also peel and core the apple if you wish, however I do not do this (see notes).
- Using a mandolin or sharp knife, cut the apple into even sized rounds that are approximately ⅛ inch thick.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon onto the apple slices and rub it in slightly so that it sticks.
- Arrange the cinnamon apple slices into a single layer in the basket of an air fryer. Try not to overlap the slices, although it is ok if they are touching slightly.
- Cook the apples at 350F (180C) for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time to ensure even cooking.
- If the apples are golden/browning and only slightly pliable, then remove from the air fryer and allow to cook completely. If they do not seem ready then put them back into the air fryer and cook for 1 minute at a time, until they reach the desired level of crispness.
- Allow to cool compltely before enjoying. Once the chips have cooled they can be stored in an airtight container, they should last about 5 days at room temperature.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.