Garlic Hasselback Potatoes and Root Vegetables are everything I want in a side. Filling, full of flavour, perfectly cooked on the inside with an almost caramelized coating on the outside. Paired with the yoghurt dill drizzle and you have a side dish as much at home on your fancy Holiday table as it is served up during the week with a side of grilled chicken or fish.
Garlic Hasselback Potatoes and Root Vegetables with Yoghurt Dill Drizzle
Never have I ever been so excited for a tray of veggies.
Fall and winter veggies are seriously underrated. They have so much color and flavour when you use them correctly, and really deserve some more of our attention.
So I am going to give it to them.
Use whatever root veggies you can get your hands on here, I'm thinking:
- Sweet Potato
Pretty much any solid veggie you can cut slices into without it falling apart.
I love using a Hasselback or accordion method for roasted veggies as it ensures they are beautifully cooked the whole way through, making them tender on the inside, and almost caramelised on the outside.
You get a nice mixture of soft and crispy which is just delicious, especially in these very rooty veggies.
Ok So I Have The Veg, What Other Ingredients Do I Need To Make These Hasselback Potatoes and Root Vegetables?
Not much, we really want the natural flavours of the veg to shine for themselves.
We are going to need some:
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Make sure you roast the lemon along with the other veg as it really gives it a great kick of flavour, especially when mixed with the yoghurt and garlic. Paired with the dill and you have a flavour combination that is just delightful.
What Should I Serve With Garlic Hasselback Potatoes and Root Vegetables?
This works perfectly with some chicken like this Rotisserie Chicken cooked in the oven.
It would work as a bit of showstopper on a Holiday table, Easter brunch or even just a nice addition to your Sunday lunch.
Need some good baking trays? I have had these for years and they always clean up so well. Plus they are made in the US, which is a nice change:
What To Do With Leftovers
Never fear, they just happen to make the most wonderful salad!
Pop on over here and check it out to make sure you put those leftovers to good use. Waste not, want not, right!
Garlic Hasselback Potatoes and Winter Veg with Yoghurt Dill Drizzle
- 4 potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 2 beets
- 1 parsnip
- 1 whole head of garlic separated and peeled
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup natural plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoon dill chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C)
- Wash the vegetables and then carefully slice each one at similar intervals (½cm/1/5inch) the whole way along. Use chopsticks or wooden spoons on either side of the vegetable to make sure you don't cut the whole way through. Once sliced, place on a large baking sheet.
- Squash the garlic cloves and scatter them on the baking sheet with the veg.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoon of olive oil over the veggies, making sure it gets into the cuts. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about an hour, until the veggies are tender.
- Remove the tray from the oven, pick out the garlic and lemon and put aside to cool down. Sprinkle the rest of the veg with the apple cider vinegar and pop back into the oven for about 10 minutes until crispy.
- Combine the garlic and yoghurt in a small bowl, squeeze in the lemon from the cooked wedges and add in the dill. Give it all a good stir and season to taste.
- Drizzle the yoghurt mix over the cooked veggies and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.